This deserves another journal...My 190g Wild Discus build!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Mind my asking what the PSI is recommended for the filterguys products? I am running right at 40-45 PSI (look like you are too) for my RO/DI unit but the docs recommend 60 PSI for "optimal" performance. Automating these systems is not impossible but not easy either.

Dosing daily is easier IMO than what I am doing with a tap/RO mix. I have a design change in my head but have yet to actually make any progress or invest any effort. The build is looking amazing BTW Jose, top notch work ;)

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
JK47;5087921;5087921 said:
Mind my asking what the PSI is recommended for the filterguys products? I am running right at 40-45 PSI (look like you are too) for my RO/DI unit but the docs recommend 60 PSI for "optimal" performance. Automating these systems is not impossible but not easy either.

Dosing daily is easier IMO than what I am doing with a tap/RO mix. I have a design change in my head but have yet to actually make any progress or invest any effort. The build is looking amazing BTW Jose, top notch work ;)
When I spoke to Jim, he said their GPD ratings are based on 65psi and 77 degree water temp. Anything less than those figures and you'll realize less GPD. A few posts ago I mentioned a drop in my pressure to about 20psi. I tested my tap and it was reading the normal 60psi. So I suspected my GAC chloramine filters, since the cartridges were old. I bypassed the unit, and sure enough, my pressure shot up to 50-60psi, even while running. So now I'm back in business!

With 40-45psi, you'll realize about 50gpd on a unit that's rated for 75gpd. A booster pump will bring you up to 80+psi, which is the ideal pressure. If you can spend the money on a booster pump, definitely get one. Not only will you increase your GPD figures, but you'll be producing less waste water.

When you say dosing daily, do you mean dosing of the additives to re-mineralize the water? Doing a tap/RO mixture with my water changing setup would have been a nightmare. I don't even know where to begin on that one!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
jcardona1;5087931; said:
When I spoke to Jim, he said their GPD ratings are based on 65psi and 77 degree water temp. Anything less than those figures and you'll realize less GPD. A few posts ago I mentioned a drop in my pressure to about 20psi. I tested my tap and it was reading the normal 60psi. So I suspected my GAC chloramine filters, since the cartridges were old. I bypassed the unit, and sure enough, my pressure shot up to 50-60psi, even while running. So now I'm back in business!

With 40-45psi, you'll realize about 50gpd on a unit that's rated for 75gpd. A booster pump will bring you up to 80+psi, which is the ideal pressure. If you can spend the money on a booster pump, definitely get one. Not only will you increase your GPD figures, but you'll be producing less waste water.

When you say dosing daily, do you mean dosing of the additives to re-mineralize the water? Doing a tap/RO mixture with my water changing setup would have been a nightmare. I don't even know where to begin on that one!
Yeah that's the same thing I was told about the GPD rating. My unit is only a 55 GPD unit though. I was initially concerned about that fact that I am not even close to target temp because my unit is split off the cold water supply for my washing machine but it seems to not be an issue besides my setup not being as efficient. Are you hitting the target temp or just cold water supply (sorry if I missed it) I'll look into the booster pump, I had not thought about that. Yeah I was talking about reconsistuting the mineral content with the chemicals your using. I'm not using any additive, I'm doing a 70%/30% RO/tap mix. It's a PITA though because I have to fill mixing tank "A" on float overnight to achieve the 70%, fill holding tank "B" manually with the 30% and pump to destination tank with the mixture of the two. It works but there is MUCH to be desired..

My current "automation" consists of a python hooked up to a magdrive and a really long power cord. Far from automated.. All oif the big tanks in the garage are CA cichids so no RO needed but the tanks in the house are SA cichlids (eartheaters). I wish I could design a system that delivered consistant results on drip in the house without my intervention..

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
JK47;5087970; said:
Yeah that's the same thing I was told about the GPD rating. My unit is only a 55 GPD unit though. I was initially concerned about that fact that I am not even close to target temp because my unit is split off the cold water supply for my washing machine but it seems to not be an issue besides my setup not being as efficient. Are you hitting the target temp or just cold water supply (sorry if I missed it) I'll look into the booster pump, I had not thought about that. Yeah I was talking about reconsistuting the mineral content with the chemicals your using. I'm not using any additive, I'm doing a 70%/30% RO/tap mix. It's a PITA though because I have to fill mixing tank "A" on float overnight to achieve the 70%, fill holding tank "B" manually with the 30% and pump to destination tank with the mixture of the two. It works but there is MUCH to be desired..

My current "automation" consists of a python hooked up to a magdrive and a really long power cord. Far from automated.. All oif the big tanks in the garage are CA cichids so no RO needed but the tanks in the house are SA cichlids (eartheaters). I wish I could design a system that delivered consistant results on drip in the house without my intervention..
Ok I see. Yeah, I spent a couple days doing nothing but thinking about how to make an automated RO/tap water change-barrel refilling system and I simply couldn't come up with any ideas. Maybe if I had this tank in the garage with 3 55g barrels, it would be easy. If you come up with something let me know!

JamesF;5088459; said:
OK, where's the video of the simulated sunrise/sunset? This I gotta see. If it's impressive enough, I may have to look into this when I get my big tank. :)
Sorry, haven't taken any video. But it would be a really long video! I have the sunrise/sunset effect programed to last 60 minutes. Here's a video I found on Youtube that was sped up, this should give you an idea

[YT]jIifXhb8Gic[/YT]

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Took the time to get some nice photos of the tank! You'll notice I added 3 angels and a group of lemon tetras to the tank. The angels are the poor-man's version of the majestic Altum angels...maybe one day. A few discus are missing from the 190g since they didn't seem too happy. I think some internal bugs may have returned, so they're currently being treated in separate tank. All part of the game.

click for larger version

And some new photos of the Alenquers in their QT tank. These guys are really looking amazing. They rarely show their mood/stress bars, meaning they must really be happy :)

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Jose, we get wild altums locally from time to time that are available for shipping on aquabid. Lemme know if you want me to keep an eye out--they're pretty affordable.

Also, looking at your setup, and your wild discus (and knowing exactly how much those cost ;)) I don't think you can claim "poor man's" anything. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store