Priming a XP3 is fun!!lol

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
So I pulled down the lever and wow! all those bubbles coming out of he spray bar made me jump a little. haha

anyways, it's been a few hours since i first set this up. the noise has gone down but there are still air bubbles stuck to the baskets in the filter...how can i get rid of these?
and i am afraid that the sponges had some air in it too.(which can damage the motor i guess...)

also when i first plugged it in; a bunch of white stuff came out of the spray bar and made the tank white...and now it's gone.. were they tiny air bubbles?

and finally; i am using the outflow regulator but when i twist it to lower the GPH, a lot of airbubbles/noise comes out...is this normal?

now that the in-tank filter's water doesn't go straight down(since the water is above the 40i's lip) and the spay bar is pointed upwards, there is nothing that will dstribute the heaters heat throughout the tank...any suggestions?
my turtle seems to hate the output on the XP3 too...he's been on his dock for hours... maybe the waterlevel is a little too high...

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
one more thing..
i can occasionally hear the distinctive "prsh prsh" sound from air going in..

Gracie

Feeder Fish
Nov 10, 2007
NC
I don't worry about air bubbles left in the top of the canister. However, you can tilt the canister and let the air blow out.

You shouldn't be hearing any "prsh prsh" sounds after the filter is primed and running for a minute. It should be silent. (At least mine is.)

I will say that the adjuster valve for my spray bar sucks in air if it's left sticking out of the water any. I ended up turning mine upside down so it stays immersed. If you see small micro bubbles coming out of your spray bar try flipping the valve so it's under water.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
JEAE21;1240025; said:
one more thing..
i can occasionally hear the distinctive "prsh prsh" sound from air going in..
Make sure the canister is two feet below the water level.....Give the filter a little"shake"...This may push out any bubbles collecting at the top of the canister.....You sure you let the canister fill up first before turning on????

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
i looked it up and i guess what is happening is the auto-air escape technology thing.lol

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
I <3 my XP's.

I always fill the canister before I put the lid back on, then when I flip the lever and lock the tubes back in it's already full because when I flipped it off they had water in them. I never get any bubbles except maybe for a second. If you don't want any from the start use the cap on the top of the inlet tube and fill it until it hits the top, recap it and fire it up. It shouldn't have any then but maybe a few, give it a shake too, that helps. There could be some air trapped in the sponge if it's new, those will take a bit to come out, if it's still making that noise in a day or two then double check all your connections, it might be sucking air somehow.

cassharper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Mansfield, Texas
if you have new sponges, there will be a lot of air trapped in them, which will take time to purge all the air.

To minimize it I will fill up the can beforehand, open the valve and let it sit for a min. Once I turn it on, give it a little shake to let the air all collect at the top to be expelled. It just happens and will correct itself before too long (hours to a day or two)

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I always like to soak my filter foams before I put them in the filter. I try and get all of the air out of them before putting them in the filter. If you have any air left after filling the inlet tube and starting the filter, go with the tilting idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store