African spotted lungfish (Protopterus dolloi )?

dark_aLLeY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2005
somewhere along the equator
Hi MKF,

attached are the photos of my sole lungfish (kept it for a month plus). I got it as african spotted lungfish.

The head:

The tail portion:

My question is, is it truly an authentic protopterus dolloi ? Please advise~~. :icon_naruto10:

Many thanks,
dark_aLLeY

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
wow, very interesting specimen! i don't know how sub-specific i would go with an ID personally, but it's definitely not a P. dolloi (much more elongate, slender, and shorter fins), but it does look to be a P. annectens to me--
--solomon

dark_aLLeY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2005
GriF;1252795; said:
it's an protopterus annectens brieni
Thanks GriF, your ID put an end to my doubts finally. :headbang2

Is there any way to ID the sex ?
E_americanus;1253325; said:
wow, very interesting specimen! i don't know how sub-specific i would go with an ID personally, but it's definitely not a P. dolloi (much more elongate, slender, and shorter fins), but it does look to be a P. annectens to me--
--solomon
Yeah, that's why I suspect so - not a P.dolloi. I got it from a local lfs named as african spotted lungfish. The shopkeeper don't know the scientific name either, but I have decided to bring it back since it looks so attractive in a way.

Nevertheless, thanks to everyone for the kind comments and valueable inputs.

This piece is currently around 1 foot long TL.
Diet: Hikari carnivore pellets & Hikari algae wafers, supplemented occasionally with live goldfish feeders

GriF

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Netherlands
dark_aLLeY;1254743; said:
Is there any way to ID the sex ?
noop there is no way to sex them by fysical appearance.

p.s. I like the unifor color on your fish.
If you take good care of it it will probably grow to 2 / 2,5 ft in a year..good luck with it.
ow and be carefull with the feeder fish.
I used to feed it as a main diet..but i switched to ,,sprot" (Sprattus sprattus) frozen.mussels and tigershrimp.
After I had some problems with the health of one of my lungfish probably because of the feederfish.

goodluck,

GriF

dark_aLLeY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2005
GriF;1255622; said:
noop there is no way to sex them by fysical appearance.

p.s. I like the unifor color on your fish.
If you take good care of it it will probably grow to 2 / 2,5 ft in a year..good luck with it.
ow and be carefull with the feeder fish.
I used to feed it as a main diet..but i switched to ,,sprot" (Sprattus sprattus) frozen.mussels and tigershrimp.
After I had some problems with the health of one of my lungfish probably because of the feederfish.

goodluck,

GriF
Thanks GriF,

It's staple food is the algae wafers and carnivore pellets.....the goldfish is only feed once in a bluemoon. And to my surprise, this lunggie seems to response better to algae wafer than the carnivore pellets. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store