>Too much in a 55 gallon?<

hojo1621

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
What do the pro's think? I plan on keeping these fish for life in the 55 gallon, unless you guys say otherwise. Below is a list of the stocking.

(1) Male Jack Dempsey >> Can grow to 12"
(1) Female Convict >> Can grow to +4"
(1) Pair of Jewel Cichlids >> Can grow to +4"
(1) Pink tailed Chalceus >> Can grow to 10"
(3) Golden Barbs >> Can grow to 3"

The tank is filtered by an Eheim 2028 canister and an Emperor 400 (filled with Efistrat Pro). I do (2) 25% water changes a week.

Thanks guys!:headbang2

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
I would drop the jewels real fast. The JD will need a bigger tank in afew years. A 55 is only 12.5" wide that will leave him with .5" to turn.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
I'd keep the Jewel pair and female Convict in there....The con will make a great dither fish for the pair when they decide to breed....The possibilty of the male jewel breeding with the con is high, it has been done before unintensionally many times...Give the JD his own tank, and throw in a couple more to get a pair....What, 55g tanks go for $50-60 these days....Save the money and do it....Golden Barbs, come on this is MFK, these fish are feeders....lol....But if you must, leave them in the original 55 for the sake of cleaning up any unwanted food the cichlids leave behind.

Jason

hojo1621

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2005
importracer;1254352; said:
I'd keep the Jewel pair and female Convict in there....The con will make a great dither fish for the pair when they decide to breed....The possibilty of the male jewel breeding with the con is high, it has been done before unintensionally many times...Give the JD his own tank, and throw in a couple more to get a pair....What, 55g tanks go for $50-60 these days....Save the money and do it....Golden Barbs, come on this is MFK, these fish are feeders....lol....But if you must, leave them in the original 55 for the sake of cleaning up any unwanted food the cichlids leave behind.

Jason
Yeah, I have had those barbs for quite some time. Surprisingly they do a great job at cleaning all of the extra food not eaten by the bigger guys.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I guess I'm stuck between getting another tank for the Dempsey, or getting a 20 long for the jewel pair. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
importracer;1254352; said:

Jason

I would love to see proof of a jewel breeding with a convict...:popcorn:

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
bigspizz;1254724; said:
I would love to see proof of a jewel breeding with a convict...:popcorn:
:iagree::iagree:
Somehow I dont think that an african cichlid and a central american can breed. Lol.
And on the JD note, how many JD's do you commonly see over 10"? Most max out at 8-10". 12" specimens IMO arent very abundant.

doug67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Canada
Mystix212;1255567; said:
:iagree::iagree:
Somehow I dont think that an african cichlid and a central american can breed. Lol.
And on the JD note, how many JD's do you commonly see over 10"? Most max out at 8-10". 12" specimens IMO arent very abundant.
:confused:Which fish are you classing as an african?

doug67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Canada
:screwy:My mistake---I've never kept jewels.Always thought they were south americans.

Justice.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2008
Los Angeles CA
hojo1621;1253864; said:
What do the pro's think? I plan on keeping these fish for life in the 55 gallon, unless you guys say otherwise. Below is a list of the stocking.

(1) Male Jack Dempsey >> Can grow to 12"
(1) Female Convict >> Can grow to +4"
(1) Pair of Jewel Cichlids >> Can grow to +4"
(1) Pink tailed Chalceus >> Can grow to 10"
(3) Golden Barbs >> Can grow to 3"

The tank is filtered by an Eheim 2028 canister and an Emperor 400 (filled with Efistrat Pro). I do (2) 25% water changes a week.

Thanks guys!:headbang2
yeah the JD is gonna grow out the tank faster then you know it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store