Penguin BIO WHEEL not working please help

Murko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2007
Japan
I came home from the LFS today and found my bio wheel had stopped working. It is no longer filtering or sucking, and the bio wheels are no longer moving. I took it apart and cleaned it, including the propeller but all it does is making an annoying sound from the propeller. If anyone has experience with this please assist. I have already tried everything in the manual and my tank is being really under filtered without that HOB penguin working.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
The impeller can go bad, try replacing it. Not much else there. With it disassembled put the impeller back in and turn it on to see if it spins, it is possible the coil burnt out also.

Dr Joe

riverfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2007
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Penguins are REALLY bad about not running right if the impeller isin't seated just right. Try lifting the intake tube up and down several times and push it down pretty firmly. Usually works for when on the rare occasion I have an issue with my penguins.

Murko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2007
Japan
If I cannot manage to get this fixed, do you guys think I should stray away from buying an EMP 400 and just get an AC110?

riverfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2007
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
I run about 7 penguins at 9 emperors and have never had any problems. Bother AC filters I bought started making huge amounts of racket after about a month of running. I also don't like the way they dump all the crap they filtered out of the tank back in when you life the filter tray out. Personally I wont own another AC filter. Another fact to think about....penguin bio wheels while smaller will run on a emperor so you wouldnt have to cycle the new filter or lose the bacteria already on the old biowheels. (i have a couple emperors running penguin bio wheels atm in fact. For my money though i would get the emperor since im partial to them. just my opinion though.:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store