DIY fake tree stumps/limbs

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Has anyone tried to make a fake tree stump or limbs? The kind that are placed against the back wall of the tank (inside.)

I was thinking of trying to make some for my tank from that expandable foam, but I don't know if it's tank safe.

On another note, is there a paint I can use for underwater decorations?

cjohll

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2007
S/W Wisconsin
I am going to try this as one of my projects this winter. Im thinking of using pvc pipe as the structure and cover it with cement or some other material

Cdog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2007
Washington
I remember reading about someone making a large rock for his breeding pair of Jags in a 1000g tank. It actually floated and had to put holes in it to keep on the bottom. As soon as I get a chance I'll let you know the details. Not sure what it was made out of?

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Dr. Joe:

The second link isn't working for me, comes up as "Sorry, no matches."

Did JoelR ever fix the problem with the PH caused by the wall he made?

Anyway, thanks for the link!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida

bluefish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
South Dakota
Sorry Dr. Joe. Did a search and found the paint answer--at length. Just jumped in on impulse in this thread yesterday. In my defense I am an old guy and not much for using computers. I'll try to "think" before I type next time.

joshshilling

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2007
tulsa, ok
youtube.com
A word of caution on the Krylon fusion.

I painted some PVC with it, it looked great. Used the black. Nice and very tough.

Added 3-5 plecos to the tank; couple of Panaque and trio of smaller "clown" types. They scrape the paint right off- now it looks like its been sandblasted.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
How long did you let it cure? Just curious...

Some pleco's develop a taste for the strangest things, like they can't stop themselves. You should see some of my sponge filters. It's like having nice things and little kids...not going to happen :ROFL:. (But pleco's are any better when they grow up, most kids are :D)

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store