sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Stefan Lovgren in Yichang, China
for National Geographic News

July 26, 2007
This is the second installment in a series on the Megafishes Project. Join National Geographic News on the trail with project scientists as they track down the world's largest freshwater fishes.

If the world's largest freshwater fish still exists, Wei Qiwei will be there to save it.

"I believe it's out there," said Wei, as he scanned the murky Yangtze River from his sleek, 63-foot (19-meter) rescue vessel.

Wei is one of China's foremost experts on the Chinese paddlefish, a leviathan that reportedly can grow 23 feet (7 meters) long and weigh half a ton.

But the odds of finding even a single one of the aquatic giants may be steadily diminishing.

No adult Chinese paddlefish have been caught in the Yangtze River by fishers since 2003. Even more worrisome, no young paddlefish have been seen since 1995.

"When you don't see juveniles, we think maybe there's no spawning," said Wei, who heads a research laboratory at the Yangtze River Fisheries Research Institute in Jingzhou (see China map).

He and other experts fear that even if individual paddlefish are found in the Yangtze, the species itself, if unable to reproduce, could be on an irreversible path to extinction.

Spawning Ground

The Chinese paddlefish is also known as the elephant fish, because its long snout resembles an elephant's trunk.

The predators feed on other fish, as well as small amounts of crab and crayfish.

Prized for their rich, plentiful meat, the giant animals are said to have been commonly offered as gifts to the Chinese emperor during imperial times.

In the 1970s hundreds of paddlefish were caught each year by fishers on the Yangtze River.

Then, in the 1980s, the population dropped dramatically, Wei said.

The culprit for that loss can be found by taking a 20-minute boat ride up the river from the city of Yichang to the giant Gehzouba hydroelectric dam.

The dam, completed in 1983, divided the Yangtze River into two sections, cutting off the migratory route of the paddlefish.

"The paddlefish travel long distances, from their forage grounds in the middle and lower part of the Yangtze River—and sometimes the coastal waters—to their spawning grounds in the upper river," Wei said.

"The dam separated the feeding area from the spawning ground."

The spawning process for paddlefish is particularly sensitive because females do not become sexually mature until they are seven or eight years old, he added.

The newly built Three Gorges Dam, the largest hydroelectric dam in the world, which sits 30 miles (48 kilometers) upriver from the Gezhouba Dam, has further reduced paddlefish habitat, Wei said.

Two more dams are now being planned for the upper reaches of the Yangtze River.

Last Animal Caught

Fisheries biologist Zeb Hogan was also aboard Wei's boat on his recent ride up the Yangtze.

Hogan heads the National Geographic Society's Megafishes Project, a three-year program to assess the conservation status of the world's largest freshwater fishes.

(See related story and photos: "Megafishes Project to Size Up 'Real-Life Loch Ness Monsters' [July 24, 2007].)

(National Geographic News is a division of the National Geographic Society.)

The plight of the Chinese paddlefish underscores the urgent need to protect the river giants, said Hogan, who is a National Geographic Emerging Explorer.

"Here is what is perhaps the world's largest freshwater fish, and it's close to extinction," he said.

An 11-foot (3.3-meter) paddlefish was caught by fishers in December 2002, Wei pointed out. It died after 29 days in captivity.

The following month, a 12-foot (3.5-meter) paddlefish was caught in Yibin in the upper Yangtze.

Fisheries law enforcement officials immediately contacted Wei. During the eight hours it took him and his crew to travel to Yibin, Wei gave suggestions to officials on how to handle the fish, which survived.

Before it was released back into the river, Wei planted a location transmitter on the paddlefish.

Wei has since lost the signal, but he believes this fish is still alive.

"These fish can live for maybe 50 years," he said. "I'm sure it's still there."

Underwater Caves

Wei and Hogan have agreed to embark on a joint expedition next year to look for Chinese paddlefish.

Wei believes the upper Yangtze provides a possible last refuge for the fish and that there might be up to a dozen individuals left.

"That area has many deep pools and underwater caves where the fish can hide," he said.

Wei vowed not to retire until he finds a paddlefish.

"I have another 20 years to go," he said. "I'm not giving up that easily."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/070726-china-fish.html

The Megafishes Project
http://www.megafishes.org/

Chinese paddlefish (Psephurus gladius)

North American paddlefish (Polyodon spathula)

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
I have no intention of bashing other countries and cultures but, C'MON!!! I would hate to see a beautiful fish like this be gone. The chinese river dolphin is also thought to be extinct, and it really is such a shame. The recent damming project for the three gorges dam is estimated to wipe out dozens of species and thousands of years worth of culture along the yangtze river. I do believe in the greater good, but it really is a shame :(

kiLLz kC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2007
kansas city-mO
just a pic from Shedd Aquarium to add to your pics. it's a shame.

SANY0066_048.jpg

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
I know it doesn't matter much to the global community, and would probably be seen as wasted resources, but it would be awesome if we could start preventive breeding programs for all species that are nearing critical endangerment.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Onion01;1276599; said:
I know it doesn't matter much to the global community, and would probably be seen as wasted resources, but it would be awesome if we could start preventive breeding programs for all species that are nearing critical endangerment.
and to what purpose?
Habitat loss and poaching of animals are the main reasons... these should be prevented, not having a "bank" of animals. Although they are banking plant DNA and storing seeds... a lot of which are now extinct in the wild. I think there was a place storing seeds of many extinct plants, and the guy that took over spent all his money on a big swimming pool as opposed to keeping the operation in order and so some species were lost. Can't remember any details though.

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
The Chinese have destroyed a great many species with their rapid expansion but if anyone is going to develop the process to bring extinct species back from the dead it will most likely be the Chinese as well. In many regards I am glad they have the different culture they do because it allows for much greater technological innovation than would ever be possible in the U.S. Amazing fish though and it would be a shame if it were lost forever.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
davo;1276610; said:
and to what purpose?
Habitat loss and poaching of animals are the main reasons... these should be prevented, not having a "bank" of animals. Although they are banking plant DNA and storing seeds... a lot of which are now extinct in the wild. I think there was a place storing seeds of many extinct plants, and the guy that took over spent all his money on a big swimming pool as opposed to keeping the operation in order and so some species were lost. Can't remember any details though.
let's assume we do someday restore some form of natural habitat for these animals, it would be great to restock it. Do you believe that once an animal's natural habitat is gone, it too should be gone? That is an interesting point. Would it be right to transplant one species into another's territory? I know about invasive species, but what if it were the only way to save the first species?

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
They've done the reverse before. When the native species is entirely extinct theyve put a genetically very similar species in the area to fill the void. Probably not much different than giving the species a new range so long as theyd fill a hole left open by something else.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Onion01;1276924; said:
let's assume we do someday restore some form of natural habitat for these animals, it would be great to restock it. Do you believe that once an animal's natural habitat is gone, it too should be gone? That is an interesting point. Would it be right to transplant one species into another's territory? I know about invasive species, but what if it were the only way to save the first species?
i'm just saying the efforts should be in the conservation of their endemic area.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store