SURPRISE! Green Sunfish fry?... Should I take out the fish?

AR_Clint

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Arizona
I've got a 40 tall that has 2 green sunfish 1 bluegill and a hybrid. I looked down in the corner of my tank a few days ago and noticed that the gravel had a fuzzy look to it. I thought it looked like some sort of bacteria issue or something. Well, I examined the gravel today and found hundreds of tiny fry covering the rock. This explains why one of my sunfish has been being so territorial in that corner recently. They're totally transparent except for the tiny eyes. They haven't started swimming yet. I have a brother with a large native tank and he's willing to take the other 4 fish off my hands and I will dedicate this tank to raising the fry. I am definitely going to remove the 2 bluegills and the sunfish that isn't the protective father.

Here's where my question comes in. Should I at some point remove the father as well? Should I just take him out now to avoid future difficulty or is he providing some important role other than protection?

Thanks guys for the advice and thoughts in advance.
Clint

pupumole

In Loving Memory
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2007
sfbay
can u ship me a fry through an envelop or something (to reduce shipping cost) ? xD i just got one mixed in when i brought feeders, but it got some disease from the feeders and died :( and my mom loved it :| hehe jk, but that would be cool, anyway congratz on those sunfish fry :) and i know nothin bout breedin fish but im guessin get watever thats being mean to the lil fries out :) good luck growing them up or doing whatever you want to em :)

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
His job is to guard the fry for a little while until they leave the nest. If you leave him in too long he will simply eat the fry.

AR_Clint

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Arizona
I have actually been thinking about what to do with them when they grow to about an inch or two. I will probably sell them through craigslist locally. However, if somebody wants some bad enough and was willing to pay for shipping, I'd be okay with that too.

Right now my main focus is on survival. I am currently hatching brine shrimp to feed them. I would take pictures, but they are still pretty tiny and don't leave the gravel substrate much.

Does anyone know if the baby brine shrimp will be small enough for a first primary food supply?

fatherof5

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
WISCONSIN
Can you PM me when you think they are ready, i would really like to get several and raise my own and yes i am willing to pay for shipping and handling.

AR_Clint

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Arizona
Yeah fatherof5, I'll let you know when they get a little bigger. Also, just so everyone's aware, I'm not sure who the mom is. It could either be the other green sunfish, or it could be one of the bluegills. If the fry are hybrids does this effect them as future breeders?

fishlvr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2006
on MFK and NANFA
AR_Clint;1279267; said:
Yeah fatherof5, I'll let you know when they get a little bigger. Also, just so everyone's aware, I'm not sure who the mom is. It could either be the other green sunfish, or it could be one of the bluegills. If the fry are hybrids does this effect them as future breeders?
Greengill (bluegill x green sunfish hybrid) are actually pretty common hybrids used for pond stocking and "naturally" occurring. They will produce F2(second generation) offspring.

AR_Clint

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Arizona
Well, I just removed the larger fish from the aquarium and some of the fry are now swimming. They're still very transparent though. I'm going to be feeding them brine shrimp tonight. Hopefully everything goes well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store