I have a problem with a tank...

buddah101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2005
Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
Hello, I seem to be having an ammonia problem with a 30 gallon planted tank that I threw together from an existing 20 gallon fully cycled planted tank and a few old filters and peices I had laying around.
full shot of tank

First of all I'll tell you my readings as of 5:18 pm
Ammonia~1.0
Nitrite~0
Nitrate~5.0
GH~1degree~ 17.9ppm
KH~1degree~17.9ppm
pH~7.4
CO2~1.194ppm ?
test results pic

OK, I added fully cycled filter floss from one of my Aqua clear filters on my 180 Gallon to an old REGANT filter on the 30 gallon in question. I also added a unit of CHEMIPURE to each side and some white diamond ammonia remover in the center.
old filter open hatch

I also have an Aqua Clear 402 powerhead powering an old Marineland single biowheel

pic of (new) powerhead that runs biowheel

biowheel pic

Also, I have a DIY CO2 system hooked into a Minijet 606 powerhead.

I just cant get the ammonia down! I relize that the 30 gallon tank has been sitting empty for a month or so but with all the surface area and live bacteria I added you'd think I would see a difference. What do you think is causing the ammonia to be so high?
My tanks residents are a firebelly newt, Farlowella cat (vitatta), a B. ram, 2 bettas, a 5" pecock eel and a RES (sometimes)
Is it overstocked do you think? Please help.

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
How long have this tank been setup? the tank might be going through a mini-cycle even with old filter medias from another tank.

I'd suggest that you take the fire-belly newt out. They are cool water amphibians and may not fair well in a heated aquarium. Might also climb out of your open top tank too.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
looks like a newly setup tank from what you wrote. Ming is right, it could be undergoing a cycle. In that case, all you can do is more water changes and use a product like amquel that converts ammonia to ammonium. Just maintain a religous water change and your tank will have zero ammonia in no time.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
eventually (2-3 weeks), if you don't add chemicals to the water, the ammonia will go down and the tank will be cycled.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
good
i never use chem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store