Fungus Treatment for Gymnothorax Tile

Denmar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2007
Rosemount, MN
Hello,
To start off, I lost my freshwater moray, a Gymnothorax Tile, last night during treatment for a true fungus outbreak. I'm sure the loss was preventable, and I am hoping to find some success stories with treatment, or to at least find out where I went wrong in my treatment. I started out with 2x a day treatment with RID-FUNGUS, an herbal treatment. This treatment did not seem to adversely affect anything living in my tank, however it did not seem to be effective on the fungus. After 3 days of treatment the fungus was still spreading and I changed treatments to API's Fungus Cure. After 16 hours of treatment, the Fungus had been reduced significantly. The moray was clearly unhappy with the treatment, but he has responded to nearly all treatments in this fashion, as they are more sensitive to water quality - especially in a freshwater environment. The moray did not make it through the next night. Unfortunately he was the one with the worst fungus problem, so seperating him was not an option. Has anyone had success at treating fungus on Gymnothorax Tile or other species of freshwater moray or treatment in a tank where one resides and had positive results they could share?

IMG_0222.JPG

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Sorry for your loss.

I've never seen this species thrive in a freshwater environment. Even light brackish conditions would help this species survive. Eventually, the species move to full marine conditions. Treatment should consist of boosting salt and then treat with meds that don't burn these scaleless eels. I use Maroxy which is safe enough to treat fish eggs with. I also boost the temp to 84F-86F which is detrimental to most fungi. Be sure to boost aeration when increasing temp.

Denmar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2007
Rosemount, MN
Ugh. I had picked up Maroxy for the treatment and let the guy at the LFS talk me out of it to go with the API instead. Should have went with my gut. My GT has been doing well for around 9 months, I think in the right conditions they can do well in freshwater, however there is no way to avoid their increased sensitivity in freshwater, which may just be a ticking time bomb of sorts. I love eels, even the fake ones (I have a peacock and a fire eel as well), but I think I am going to wait until I have the time, energy, and get a proper marine tank setup before I bring another true eel in. Thanks for the info.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
My only thought is if you keep one again keep it in at least 1.010 SG, or higher. Fungus is a major killer of BW fish kept in FW.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store