Cant get gars to eat floating stix??

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Should I starve them till they eat it?? After 1 minute the food sinks and dissolves. Doesn't give much time unless they attack instantly. Went with tetra carnivorous stix. The hikari ones looked too small.

clare

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2005
Grimsby, England
Just a word of warning-one of our gars starved its self for 3 months before deciding to eat again.No food change-just an awkward fish.

aquaholic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
brick, nj 08724
mine feed on f.d.krill, hikari pellets, few sm. fish, well everything even pinkie mice

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
I feed the same tetra sticks and know exactly what you mean in saying they fall apart, The best way to get a gar to top feed is to offer it frozen silversides right at the surface, after a bit the fish recognizes that it's food comes from above.

Once trained at this they usually will take all foods offered at the surface quickly.

I'm not sure what species of gar you have or the size of the fish However any gar under the size of 10 inches should never be starved. Gar are designed to grow quickly and with out proper nutrition in the first year they tend to suffer from it.

rk59

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Germany
Hi,

I have one of L. osseus, oculatus, tropicus and crocodile gar hybrid. All of them started eating pellets and sticks after a while. Beside that they eat frozen fish.

Reiner

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
mine loved mussels and pealed prawns got some really fine cotton just nicked the tail of pealed prawn jigged it around he then attached it in the end just dropped them in the tank in front of him that was my spotted gar the alligator gar I had just ate every thing not a problem :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store