Saltwater Electric eels?

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
I am about to get a SA electric eel and i was talking to my dad about it. he asked if it was salt or freshwater. we got into an arguement whether or not the electric eel is fresh or salt.
ARE THERE ANY SALTWATER ELECTRIC EELS?

Russy Pelican

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2006
Asheville, NC
I'm pretty sure the only genus of them is found in South/Central American freshwater rivers and tributaries. Maybe they still occupy the mouths of some of these and are in water with a strong salt content. Maybe there even exists a full saltwater species, but I've never heard of it. Embrace the power of Google.

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
Actually they are not eels at all. They are huge knifefish. How big is the tank? You know they can kill you.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The electric eels you are talking about are pure freshwater. There are electric saltwater fish (mostly skates and rays) and other electric freshwater fish (catfish).

What you are about to buy is going to be a 6 foot plus animal that will have the ability to kill you, so please be careful!!

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
he's 30" now, will arrive tuesday. I'll keep it in a 150 for a few years until i can upgrade. I've already got everything plugged into power strips with circuit breaker. i got me a pair of rubber gloved from my dad. they are cement gloves, and pretty thick. i got a BIG net with a PVC pipe handle.
The tank is a waiting with some apple snails and a female betta who should feel like king of the world in a 150(for now!)

By the way, are their any doctors in the house? (just in case my wife needs to ask questions before the ambulance arrives!)

revkkoolaid

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2005
Space City, TeXas
www.myspace.com
toehead11183;1297899; said:
how is this possible?
ummm . . .maybe lunacy?

Electric eels shouldn't be screwed around with.
I had the opportunity to buy one (12'') back when I lived in Fairbanks, AK.
After doing plenty of research I decided not to. Dying is not cool.

I'm not a wuss. I've been stung by lions, stonefish, rabbitfish, urchins, man-o-wars. I've had thumbnails smashed by lungfish and arm hairs ripped out by clownfish. Hazards of the hobby and the trade and I'm cool with that. But dying because a huge knifefish hiccups. . .not cool.

tis a beautiful fish though, kind of sessile for my tastes but to each his own.

good luck man!

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
Do you have any pics of him in the tank?

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
revkkoolaid;1325122; said:
I'm not a wuss. I've been stung by lions, stonefish, rabbitfish, urchins, man-o-wars. I've had thumbnails smashed by lungfish and arm hairs ripped out by clownfish. Hazards of the hobby and the trade and I'm cool with that. But dying because a huge knifefish hiccups. . .not cool.
i will give you a lol and an amen on that :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store