100 Gallon Stocking and Lighting Help

RyanMcLaughlin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2007
Anaheim, CA
Hi All,
I have a 100 Gallon tank that I am cycling to become a saltwater tank. I have 100lbs of sand and 100lbs of live rock. Before I give you a list I was wondering what kind of lighting I Should get for my tank. I want to have some corals eventually and I want to get clams and anemones. Ok so here is the fish and invertebrates I wanted to get.
4 Ocellaris Clownfish
2 Bangaii Cardinal Fish
1 Longnose Hawkfish
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Harlequin or Tobacco Basslet
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Arrow Crab
1 Starfish of some sort
A few maxima Clams
5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
Some Feather Dusters

How does that sound. Do you think that is too much or do I have room for more. I know that the tang gets pretty big but if he gets to big I might sell him if I cant upgrade my tank. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Thank You,
Ryan

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
RyanMcLaughlin;1312438; said:
Hi All,
I have a 100 Gallon tank that I am cycling to become a saltwater tank. I have 100lbs of sand and 100lbs of live rock. Before I give you a list I was wondering what kind of lighting I Should get for my tank. I want to have some corals eventually and I want to get clams and anemones. Ok so here is the fish and invertebrates I wanted to get.
4 Ocellaris Clownfish - Fine
2 Bangaii Cardinal Fish - Fine
1 Longnose Hawkfish - Keep a good fitted lid
1 Scooter Blenny - wait for at least 6 - 8 months for pod population to grow
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Harlequin or Tobacco Basslet - Harlequin will go for small crustaceans
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Arrow Crab
1 Starfish of some sort
A few maxima Clams
5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
Some Feather Dusters

How does that sound. Do you think that is too much or do I have room for more. I know that the tang gets pretty big but if he gets to big I might sell him if I cant upgrade my tank. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Thank You,
Ryan
Fish comments above, in red...Not a bad stocking list really..With a choice over the harlequin or the tobacco, i would go for the tobacco really as they dont go for crustaceans.

Lighting wise, i would go for metal halides with the clams you want to keep..just my preference.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
i would skip the metal halide and get a nice custom set of HO t-5s. if you run them right and use individual reflectors your get more range in lighting then with halides. you also avoid a huge heat issue and that will cause your corals to bleach and die. whats the point?? i have seen plenty of clams live long lives in a tank that was running a custom set of HO's. you didnt mention anything about a protein skimmer, filtration, or a refugium of any sort. any plans on these??

Grins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Charlotte, NC
sweeTang21;1318784; said:
i would skip the metal halide and get a nice custom set of HO t-5s. if you run them right and use individual reflectors your get more range in lighting then with halides. you also avoid a huge heat issue and that will cause your corals to bleach and die. whats the point?? i have seen plenty of clams live long lives in a tank that was running a custom set of HO's. you didnt mention anything about a protein skimmer, filtration, or a refugium of any sort. any plans on these??

Care to post some support for MHs bleaching corals and causing them to die?

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
sweeTang21;1318784; said:
Its not the heat that causes a coral to bleach and die. Its the decreased level of zooxanthellae due to disease and not enough light amongst other reasons, in my opinion...

Niko

Grins

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Charlotte, NC
RyanMcLaughlin;1312438; said:
I was wondering what kind of lighting I Should get for my tank. I want to have some corals eventually and I want to get clams and anemones.
I recommend either MHs or a good T5 system with individual reflectors to keep either of them healthy long term.

RyanMcLaughlin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2007
Anaheim, CA
Ok well I will look into that but since my system isnt even cycling yet I have a long ways to wait before I get them. Can you attach MH or HO T-5s to your canopy?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
When I 1st got my T5s, a lot of my corals bleached. Even new ones I bought that were purchased at stores that kept them under MH. My bulbs are about ready to be replaced & I plan on doing it only 2 bulbs at a time, so as not to have that happen all over again. I lost my red people eaters the 1st time! :(

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
heat doesnt cause bleaching? i was always under the impression that heat has been a casue to corals bleaching among other things. as far as the metal halides go what i was trying to get at is that most reef keepers dont want to invest a bunch of money on a chiller and i again i thought heat had a lot to do with bleaching.

as far as the facts to support the impretion i was under, i found this little piece of info on bleaching and as it does support what you were saying it also says that heat has something to do with it.

Coral reef bleaching, the whitening of diverse invertebrate taxa, results from the loss of symbiotic zooxantheallae and/or a reduction in photosynthetic pigment concentrations in zooxanthellae residing within scleractinian corals. Coral reef bleaching is caused by various anthropogenic and natural variations in the reef environment including sea temperature, solar irradiance, sedimentation, xenobiotics, subaerial exposure, inorganic nutrients, freshwater dilution, and epizootics. Coral bleaching events have been increasing in both frequency and extent worldwide in the past 20 years. Global climate change may play a role in the increase in coral bleaching events, and could cause the destruction of major reef tracts and the extinction of many coral species.

http://www.marinebiology.org/coralbleaching.htm

[SIZE=+1]Temperature[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Coral species live within a relatively narrow temperature margin, and anomalously low and high sea temperatures can induce coral bleaching. Bleaching events occur during sudden temperature drops accompanying intense upwelling episodes, (-3 degrees C to –5 degrees C for 5-10 days), seasonal cold-air outbreaks. Bleaching is much more frequently reported from elevated se water temperature. A small positive anomaly of 1-2 degrees C for 5-10 weeks during the summer season will usually induce bleaching.[/SIZE]

http://www.uvi.edu/coral.reefer/bleach.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_bleaching

and i never said that MH did the bleaching, but rather the heat from the metal halides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store