"Clarity" question, help??

chefrific

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Georgia
I'm using seachem's product called "clarity" to reduce some cloudiness in my 75gallon grow tank. Ran one dose, its been 24 hours but still somewhat cloudy. Directions on bottle does not state how long I should wait before dosing again. I've done all the other common sense stuff, like replacing/cleaning my mechanical filtration etc. I've emailed seachem, but all I get back is some automated response crap that is posted on their FAQ page..... And they will not answer my question. Has anyone had experience with this product, and does anyone know with what frequency I can add the recommended dosage to my tank. Thanks!

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Bump, come on people.

I haven't had to use this particular product.

Could the cloudiness be a bacterial or algae bloom? That would explain it not going away.

I used a diatom filter to polish the water.

Dr Joe

Potts050

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Brantford Ontario Canada
Is this a new set up or did you and some substrate that could be the source of cloudiness? Other culprits include bacterial blooms.

I used Clarity in a discus setup that was giving me heartache and recall reading on the bottle that you could does again after 24 hours. I recall doing about three doses over a five day period without any ill effects on my fish. My problem was a result of suspended fines from some brick sand that I was using. It takes a while for the product to work.

Slowing down your filter and tank turbulence will help it along faster as it works by 'clumping' the suspended material into larger particles that your filter media will pick up.

Keep your media clean and use a HOB if you have one until you clear up the water.

Hope this helps!

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
If its not particular matter that's clouding your water then it is probably a bacterial or algae bloom. both are common.
What are your water params? Is the tank cycled?
How much light is tank getting? Is it near a window?
What fish are in the tank? how big?
How much do you feed and how often?
What kind of filtration are you currently using?

I had a 90 that wouldnt clear up until I upped my filtration?

chefrific

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
Georgia
Tank is near a window, but window is draped. Still, room gets quite bright during day.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
You are most likly getting a bloom in your tank... from what I know of your tank it's only a month old which means you are most likly still going through your cycling period... completly normal to have a bloom which takes some time to get rid of ... if your using Clarity to clear your water... it's only good for particulates and won't help with a bloom... you are able to reuse after 24 hrs ... and they recommend a water change after 3 uses... you could use charcol to eliminate the "fog" but before you do ... run all the water quality tests you have available and post your results here so we can better determin what the problem actually is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store