Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Post up your books, and what you think of them. Follow these guidelines:

TITLE:
AUTHOR:
EXPERIENCE LEVEL:
RATING:
NOTES:

For experience level, post whether a beginner, or an advanced planter would be more likely to use the book. For the rating, use a star system 1 star to 5 stars.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
TITLE: Nature Aquarium World Book 1
AUTHOR: Takashi Amano
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Advanced
RATING: *****

TITLE: Nature Aquarium World Book 2

TITLE: Nature Aquarium World Book 3

More books will be reviewed by me later today.

schaadrak

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Uppinnia
TITLE: Ecology of the Planted Aquarium
AUTHOR: Diana Walstad
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Beginner
NOTES: Gives a very good explanation of all biological processes in a planted tank and gives a great set-up for a low-tech low-maintenance tank.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
TITLE: Nature Aquarium World Book 1
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Me next to none author best in th world
RATING: 4.5

Although this book is very beutiful with lots of examples i believe the how to section did not demonstrate alot of techniques although it does go in depth on how co2 and lighting contribute to photosynphesis. On the other hand he does go on about tricks on aquascaping. IMO a very good read and a must have in your book collection, but do not rely on this to help you with equipment setup.

David K. Bradley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
TITLE: The Natural Aquarium - How to Imitate Nature in your Home
AUTHOR: Satoshi Yoshino and Doshin Kobayashi
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Beginner thru Intermediate

This book I have found to be informative and easy to understand, with a listing of 22 basic designs for aquariums with each design based on nature's own design. Each design shows and explains which types of plants and fish go together. Each design is analyzed, illustrated with photographs and drawings and made applicable to every home aquarium situation. From a blank tank to a show tank, it is well worth the read and individual purchase. It is approved by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod, one of the world's leading aquarists. An inspiring book for hobbyists to make a living picture of nature in their homes by following these simple designs.

pepetj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Santo Domingo, Dominican
TITLE: Encyclopedia of Aquatic Plants
AUTHOR: Peter Hiscock
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: Beginner
RATING: 4.5
NOTES: Information is easily found. Some important species are not listed (e.g. Crinum callamistratum) but overall this book is as good attempt as any at introducing fishkeepers into planted tanks. Some interesting "blue-prints" for aquarium bio-types are offered. Photosynthesis as function of light/temperature/CO2+Nutrients is worded in an easy to understand language.

JasonG75

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2010
Memphis, TN
TITLE: The 101 Best Aquarium Plants
AUTHOR: Mary Ellen Sweeney
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: All
RATING: N/A
NOTES: For the beginner I found this book very helpful. It is available at Petco and Petsmart. Ironically they also have the 35 species to avoid, they ironic part is that these are the ones that petco and petsmart try to push off as aquatic.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
TITLE: Aquarium Plants
AUTHOR: Christel Kasselmann
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: medium - advanced
NOTES:
Covers pretty much all common aquatic macrophytes with details on natural habitat and culture conditions, or general water parameters for specific classes.

itsfritzymalone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2011
Tennessee
Title: Water Plants in the Aquarium
author: Ines Scheurmann
experience level: begginer to intermediate
rating: 4.0
Notes: This book is an older one but very easy to follow! I highly recommend it especially if you are having trouble getting your plants to succeed.

gurlgotkat2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
ruther glen, virginia
TITLE: aquarium beautiful
AUTHOR: a.van den nieuwenhuizen
EXPERIENCE LEVEL: beginner-advanced
RATING: 3
NOTES: introduction states that "you can have a beautiful dutch aquarium like this one simply by following the instructions in this book"( basically a dutch style aquarium photo is shown under caption). book contains drawings of plant maps/charts of prepared compositions and explains about composition and terracing. contains profiles of typical fauna and flora found in dutch aquariums and 80 full color photos. book seemed a litle dated but couldn't find the date it was published ( i assume around 1996).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store