oscar in a 20 gallon

Carny_4_Life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2007
Alabama
ok i bought a baby oscar 2 1/2-3 inches
i put him in my 55 and he just layed on his side and acted sick so i put him in my 20 gallon
there's been a ick outbreak in the 55
so i'm going to tear down the 55 put on new filters,change gravel,the whole 9 yards
how long can he live in the 20 gallon?
it has a filter for a 30 gallon tank and a filter for a 60 gallon tank on it.
and a air pump for a 60 gallon on it
also the oscar seems to have ick
i added salt and he got worse his fins clamped up and stuff
i did a wter change with less salt
will he be ok?
how long should i wait to put him in the 55?

Wackamole

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Charles Town Wv
add some ich medication ,raise the temp, and add some salt. He should be ok, oscars are pretty hardy. He would be ok in there for maybe 4-6 months depending on feeding habbits

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
You can expect about an inch a month until he hits 9-10 inches. 20 gallons will be good for a couple months, but increase your frequency of water changes.

This will give you plenty of time to get the 55 cycled. The thing is that the 55 is pushing the limits for an Oscar. A single Oscar and a picture of another fish on your background is all you should put in the 55.

Without Fish in the tank, ICH will die in about 2 weeks at room temp. Increase temp, add salt but not a whole lot, 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons.

ercnan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2006
The End Of The Yellow Brick Road
All the above , plus the fact that O's tend to be "sulky" when moved around much.
Visable signs of ich are one thing, while laying on the bottom, clamped fins, listlessness, could also mean he's just pissed at all the activity or some other reason.
55g's is really pushing it for a full grown O, even with the best maint. regimen.
No other fish included (well maybe the pic. as mentioned, which he might attack from being cramped).
Simply not enough room.

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
When ready, place him in a bigger tank as soon as possible. You are looking at a bigger tank then a 55 in some time anyway.

Carny_4_Life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2007
Alabama
he has the white dots like sugar so yeah he has ich
as far as the stress thing i didn't know that
my second set of parents are supposed to be getting me a fish tank(probly 75 or 100 gallons)for Yule so i'll put him in there once the ich is gone
only problem is my 2nd parents live 300 miles away i don't know if he'll survive the trip
but i do know everyone needs bigger tanks
if all goes well he'll go into the new tank,the angels will go into my 55 gallon,and my bp will go into his 20 gallon,and my convict will go into a 10 gallon,
so yeah alot of moving
thanks for the info guys
p.s. i do 25% water changes every day and a 50% 1 or 2 times a week is that enough for a oscar?

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
You do not need to be doing watr changes of that magnitude on a regular basis. 50% per week is fine. If you are doing those but are still finding high nitrate levels, then do 40% twice a week.

Carny_4_Life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2007
Alabama
thanks Mystix212 i'm used to doing lots of water changes
can it hurt the fish if i do water changes every day?
i mean it's like programed into my brain
if i don't do water changes every day i worry
i have obsessive compulive dissorder so that might be why but anyway can it harm the fish because i'm doing water changes every day?
i do 25-30% every day on my fish tanks
i have 3 dime sized angelfish in a 10 gallon(angelfish in a cup at wal-mart had to save them)
2 bettas that get 50% a day
10 galon with 6 mollie fry gets 30% a day
5 gallon quarentine with bp gets 35% a day
1 gallon temp home for female mollie get 50% a day
and oscar gets 25% a day
could it hurt any of these fish?
i don't want to hurt them
i want them to be healthy and ok

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Its just way way over kill. If you want to do it daily just cut down to like 5% a day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store