>:-( grrrrrrrr

oii

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
I'm so mad right now! Just came down stairs to check on all of my tanks and feed my fish before I went to bed. Fed the first three tanks. Then I got to my 30gallon that had a 6" JD a 2" kenyi and a 2" jewel. Dropped a chunk of plankton in with them. Watched the jewel and JD eat for a minute and then I wondered "..Where is my kenyi?" I stuck my hand in the tank and it was like 95 degrees! I quickly looked in the big castle thing that he always hides up in and he fell right out. Really stiff with his mouth wide open. He either got lost and couldn't find his way out or the heat got him. It didn't even seem to phase the JD or the jewel though. I hurried up and swapped a bucket of water with cold water and unplugged that @#$%^&$ piece of garbage heater I had.

This is the 4th fish I've lost in like 2 months..
first one was my big JD that got sick/beat up and I couldn't heal.
second one was a cory about 5weeks ago, I accidentally added like 4x the amount of dechlorinator/stress coat to his tank. But it didn't affect the 10 feeders I had with him so I'm not sure if that was it.
third was a texas that died within 8 hours of me getting him home from the store, my hybrid might have been what killed him but his fins didn't look too rough.
lastly is the kenyi.

The worst part is that I don't have a back up heater that I trust right now and I have been waiting forever for my girlfriend to order me 3 new heaters off of bigals for Christmas. I'm mad but I know that I got lucky. I have no idea how the other two fish lived in 95degree water. I bumped the heater up a hair three days ago and I know for a fact it was fine last night. I have just had terrible luck lately. Within the past 2 months I've also lost my wallet with $40 and all my cc's and membership cards in it, had to replace some parts on my car, slid into a curb and bent up my rim while it was icy, and got my first speeding ticket driving on a bent rim. I also got scammed $65 on a deposit for a fish tank so I have to take this lady to court now. It is not my year.

Alistriwen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sorry to hear that. The more stories like this I hear, the more I fear my heaters are gonna go on me in one of my 20 tanks lol.

oii

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
hmmm so I just noticed the power head I had in the was no longer working, could this have been the killer?

oii

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
Alistriwen;1335498; said:
Sorry to hear that. The more stories like this I hear, the more I fear my heaters are gonna go on me in one of my 20 tanks lol.
yeah its hard to trust anything. The best advice is to go with the more expensive equipment which isn't always fun especially when you're a 19 year old who delivers pizza for $.

Adhlc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2007
Raleigh, NC
oii;1335522; said:
yeah its hard to trust anything. The best advice is to go with the more expensive equipment which isn't always fun especially when you're a 19 year old who delivers pizza for $.

Amen to that.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

fsubulldogs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
detroit, michigan
i understand, i lost a common pleco and a firemouth about a month ago because the heater jacked up and it was darn near 100 degrees. i have a heater from meijer that only cost around 20-30 bucks and has been pretty accurate and hasnt quit or messed up on me since i got it about 3yrs ago. so just a thought if you are in need of a new heater. once again sorry to hear about your loss

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
Anyone tried some sort of fail safe? Like a temp activated switch to kill the power to the heater? I know thats basically how the heater itself works but a back up couldnt hurt.

oii

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
I just feel so bad about it because its probably a terrible way to die. From now on I'm going to stick with nothing but visitherm stealths and ebo jagers.

I think it could have been from a powerhead I had in the tank though because its not working any more and I plugged the heater back in now that I have nothing in the tank and its fine. I don't see why the powerhead could have raised the temp in my tank though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store