Anyone keep Mahseer?

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
I am well chuffed I have just got 2 unidentifiable Tor species - they look to me as though they could be T. putitora, I am picking up a large Neolissochilus stracheyi, I am picking up 3 N. hexagonalepis, and have another 3 non identified Tor species - 2 of which are cylindrical in shape - almost like a grass carp - no idea - about 8 inches in length - shall just wait until they grow.

I spent years looking for mahseer and managed to find a couple of Tor sora which I unfortunately lost a few years ago .... just trying to think what cats to share the tank with them ... shall post some pics when I've picked them up !!!

Does anyone else keep them?

carl

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
hey carl,

i have about 10 species of tors, and what not at any given time. why don't you post some pictures of the ones you have? Love to see them, as I'm very fond of them myself!

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
I just started with mahseers, picking up 2 Tor putitora from Fugupuff. They are great fish, incredibly responsive, gluttonous, and active ... I can't wait to get more!

lophius

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
UK
Heah Dixon ... what are you up to nowadays ? Give me a bell - I still have the same phone number ? What were you saying?????

Cichlas - where did you get your fish from? the top pick is of N. hexagonalepis, the one below looks like T. sora ? am I right? what size tank do you have them in? Great photos by the way.

I had a couple of T sora a few years ago but they are so hard to find here - there have been a few fish recently from Burma and surrounds .. nothing out of india for ages

wes, I shall post pics as soon as I can - where on earth have you got putitora from ? I am farily certain that the ones that I have got coming are the same, but I would love some from a verified source. . . I know I'm in the UK but import is relatively easy !!!

The good lady wife has suggested that I convert one of the 8x3x3 vivs that I have in the dining room into a tank ---- more tor please.

carl

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
lophius;1339279; said:
Heah Dixon ... what are you up to nowadays ? wes, I shall post pics as soon as I can - where on earth have you got putitora from ? I am farily certain that the ones that I have got coming are the same, but I would love some from a verified source. . . I know I'm in the UK but import is relatively easy !!!

The good lady wife has suggested that I convert one of the 8x3x3 vivs that I have in the dining room into a tank ---- more tor please.

carl
Hey Carl,

I imported my own from India in the past few years, but in limited quantities when they're available. I actually have a red tor, red kelah, some call it sora some call it tambroides, but its pink and the adults turn a dark orange red color, my friend caught it in malaysia.

I have a big putitora from my friend years ago, its about 18 plus inches now, I'll see if I can catch him for a picture sometime.

You have a good wife, I could only wish my wife would say the same :)

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
lophius;1339279; said:
Heah Dixon ... what are you up to nowadays ? Give me a bell - I still have the same phone number ? What were you saying?????

carl
still the same keeping datnoids and an RTG aro along with other stuff, i'm selling the aro though.
i still have a number so i will try it.
neoprodigy got a mystus wickii and i remembered seeing the beast you had.
married eh LOL

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
lophius;1339279; said:
Cichlas - where did you get your fish from? the top pick is of N. hexagonalepis, the one below looks like T. sora ? am I right? what size tank do you have them in? Great photos by the way.
Not sure on the id of them to be honest. They were in Maidenhead Aquatics in Derby. They had them for a long time before they agreed to sell them to me as they kept preaching their "large fish" policy. They started off wanting something like £90 for the bigger one and £75 for the smaller one. I eventually got them down to a tenner each. They are in a 6x2x2 tank at the moment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store