How much food for 8" pleco?

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
I am kinda new to the pleco world. I have had my sailfin pleco since he was about 2". I feed my 8" sailfin pleco a steady diet of 1-2 algae pellet a day, and about 2-3 leaves of romaine lettuce/ or a slice of apple a day. My pleco does not look skinny, but I am afraid I might be underfeeding. If he was your pleco, how much more would you feed him? Because they are "grazers" it is kinda hard for me to decide how much.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
say put in a few slices of cucumber, and see what is left over... that could give you a good idea on amounts of feeding. If you put in food for overnight, take out what is left in the morning... and you can gage it like that.

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Assuming you have a Common or related species...

Try giving it a variety of vege food. Cucumber, zuchinni, squash, mushroom, green beans, peas etc. (whatever you have really) Ideally alternate between veges and the pleco tablets.

That way you can drop in a big chunk of veg, leave it overnight, and take out the leftovers. The pleco can now eat all it wants, but no danger of overfeeding as you take out the leftovers before they can go off.

They will eat lettuce, and it's OK as part of their diet, but it's not very nutrious. You can also give some higher protein stuff, shrimp pellets or even lumps of shrimp as an occasional treat.

Cheers

Ian

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
I am aware of what pleco's eat, but I do not know if I am feeding enough. I understand that I can just take out leftovers. My pleco only eats about 1 pellet and 1 leaf of lettuce a day, and the tank has never had algae, even before he was in it. Maybe my question should be, why isnt my pleco eating more?

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Ditch the lettuce, it doesn't provide much nutrition for the pleco. Your pleco isn't very big, and wouldn't need much food as it is. However, he is a little light on how much he is eating. You should post your parameters as the parameters can affect the amount a pleco eats.

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
If it's not skinny, then you will be doing right :D

If you are leaving lumps of food in there overnight then the pleco will be getting all the food it wants.

Cheers

Ian

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Ok, thanks guys. I was just a little concerned on how little my plec was eating.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
try a few different things... it might relish something that your not currently giving it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store