Normal amount of activity for a Clown Knife?

paultl80

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Florida
What is considered a normal amount of activity for a Clown Knife that's 7" to 10"?

He used to be very active with his swimming around the tank every hour or so. But now he spends all of his time "sleeping" in his spot in a cave I made for him.

He's only active when he eats. Any other time he's back in his spot and not moving a muscle. Also he's rarley active, even in the middle of the night. Other than that, he appears to be perfectly healthy. Eats like a horse. Shoots around like a bullet. Never lays on his side. And Doesn't bother his tank mates.

Setup:
75 Gallon Fresh Water. Emperor 400 Power Filter. Clown Knife. Common Pleco. Jack Dempsey. Striped Rapheal Catfish. Spotted Rapheal Catfish.

Clown Knife: 7" to 10"
Pleco: 6" to 8"
Jack: 3" to 4"
Rapheals: 3" to 4"

Everyone has there own caves and seems to keeps to them selves.(When I'm in the room.)
Feed them medium floating cichlid pellets 6 days of week.
Live food every two months or so.

So what is it?
Normal amount of activity?
Too many inches of fish per gallon?
Did I make his cave too comfortable?
Something I'm not thinking of?

Andri Pogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Iceland
pretty normal imo...
i have 3 in that size and one of them is very active, always swimming around and not shy at all, comes up close and lookes at me if i go near the glass..
but the other two I never see, they are like yours, always behind something and only come out to eat. They do however swim around when the lights are out and the apartment is dark...

jordanlewis100

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2006
Kent,UK
my royal clown stays hidden behind a piece of wood most of the time but does come out for food and after lights out

Shahelin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
Dubai
my clown knife is always out ,,,,,, but i donno y doees it not eat fud with the other tankmates,,,, is it that cks eat at nite or whn the lites r off ??????

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
normal behaviour.

CK's , and timid ones at that, should be fed when it is dark.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
That sounds fine. They are pretty active for a nocturnal fish. Most nocturnal fish won't even move unless it's pitch black.

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
he'll be fine, it is as stated normal behaviour. but i got lucky, cant get mine TO hide, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store