Dat questions

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I've never owned a dat but I've become increasingly intrigued by them.

I saw a couple of decent sized one in a shop, 7 or 8 inches - and they were absolutely charming as hell. They looked so alert and intelligent. They were on either end of the tank both facing forward like guard dogs or something :D

And they looked at me and watched my every move, sometimes dashed about the tank then resumed their positions again. They looked fascinating.

My question is which dats are pure freshwater, not brackish - datnoides microlepis?

And are both the thin bar and wide bar dats classed as dats microlepis? Are they just a variant within the one species?

Thanks,
Joe R

Vitaliy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2005
Brooklyn, NY
vitaliy.info
Sorry I am lacking the scientific information but as far as I know in the wild Dats live in fresh and light brackish water and will be able to live in a 100% freshwater. I believe all the members here who have Datnoids keep them in freshwater.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
microlepis or indo dats as they probably are are freshwater fish as are the thin bar (undecimradiatus) and widebar (pulcher).
people also keep the silver (quadrifasciatus) and the new guinea tiger (campbelli) in fresh with no problems too although both are classed as more brackish than freshwater.
how much were they at those sizes

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
DiXoN said:
microlepis or indo dats as they probably are are freshwater fish as are the thin bar (undecimradiatus) and widebar (pulcher).
people also keep the silver (quadrifasciatus) and the new guinea tiger (campbelli) in fresh with no problems too although both are classed as more brackish than freshwater.
how much were they at those sizes

specially more so for quadrifasiatus.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
thanks for the info - so all the beautiful dats people post on this site are actually undeci or pulcher?

What is yours dixon?

The ones I saw at that size were £60. Probablty around 7 inches, but I'm thinking of buying a smaller one for cheaper.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
rumblesushi said:
thanks for the info - so all the beautiful dats people post on this site are actually undeci or pulcher?

What is yours dixon?

The ones I saw at that size were £60. Probablty around 7 inches, but I'm thinking of buying a smaller one for cheaper.

i got a pulcher aka widebar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store