Severum aggression towards other severums

jumpin joe fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Illinois
I have a 6' 125G tank with 1 Green Severum about 4" and a 5.5" Gold Severum, a pair of nicaraguensis cichlids about 4" , 4 angelfish, 6 congo tetras, and a very small firemouth cichlid. Everyone was getting along very good. I added a 2.5" inch male green severum last night and the green and gold severum are chasing him to the corner. I added the male because I thought the 4" green was a female. I didn't see all the markings on the face I have previously seen with other severums I have owned. Maybe it is a male. Anyway, is the tank large enough for 2 green severums to coexist or will he be harassed until he needs to be moved. There is plenty of driftwood and rocks.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Usually it is just because he is the new guy on the block..sev's are funny like this.. as long as he can hide away things will calm down and he will eventually be excepted..but watch out that it is not too much and he gets really stressed..

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
I have six ranging from five to eight inches and they flip between schooling and chasing each other. Everytime a new one was added they would chase at first and then accept. Just give it some time.

pdbrady

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2006
Springfield, MO
On the flip side of the responses so far, I've had similar problems. My green has always been the biggest fish in my 135 so he pretty much watched over everything going on in the tank. I got a gold juvie who grew right along side him for about a year, grew to be the biggest in tank, then decided he didn't want the green (also male) in the tank anymore. With all the hiding places in the world, the poor green couldn't get away from him and began keeping in total seclusion. I pulled the gold, and he came out colored back up, started flaring fins again, and is totally happy. I understand both being males doesn't help, but that gold just snapped after being best buds with the green for a long time. Sevs are very accepting of others, but like many other cichlids, there are individuals. 9 out of 10 he'll be fine, but just keep an eye on them.

JcrockVA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2011
Virginia
I have a mix of green and gold in my 125, and they always test new additions. Its like remaking the pecking order. They usualy settle down in 2 or 3 days. My largest male is like a tank security guard and breaks up the occasional disputes between the herd haha.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calleja_aquariums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
ontario, canada
I recently experienced something similar to this, and i was just about to take my severum out because he was constantly chasing my new salving and JD juvies, but after about a week, the fish aren't really hiding anymore and come out to eat together, although he still chases them sometimes, he has started to except them. Just give it some time and see how things go.

Goodluck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store