Nano-Reef Q&A! Checked Daily!

jmitchell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Massachusetts
Ive been keeping nano-reef tanks for 6 years now, and have had reef tanks varying from 3-40g. I would like to welcome anyone who has questions about nano reefs to ask away! I will either answer your question or direct you to your answer! I'll try to check it daily!

Happy Holidays!

-LJ:nilly:

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Very kind of you to do....got any pics of what you keep?

jmitchell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Massachusetts
I havent had a digital camera in a while, but right now, I have a 3g Pico, a 12g aquapod, a 20gL, and a 40g Angler Tank for salt. I'll look for an old video of my aquapod! brb!

-LJ

jmitchell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Massachusetts

Heres a random brain coral picture I found, Im gonna borrow a camera to get some pics!

-LJ

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Ok, very good idea and thank you in advantage!

Question, what do you recommend as equipment for a nano reef of say a 35 gallon?

jmitchell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2007
Massachusetts
For a tank around 35g, Id use an AC110 for a filter, take out the basket and all the media so you have just a big empty filter. Fill it with Live Rock rubble (which can either be purchased or you can take a piece of Live rock and smash it) and a bag of Chemipure (http://www.petsolutions.com/Chemi-Pure+I19916705+C99999.aspx ) I also like to make a grate out of the filter basket by cutting it to fit the area where the water flows out and use silicone or super glue gel to hold it in place. This makes it so none of the filter floss spills into the display. Also with the ac110, you can buy a small light and make it into a refugium. I believe coralife makes a 12" power compactr 9w light (may be 18"), but I'll look into it some more. You can then fill the ac110 with various types of macroalgae such as Chaetomorphic algae (which is most commonly used because it won't reproduce and take over your display) For now, the live rock, Chemipure, and filter floss will do just fine.

As for a heater, use whatever you please, probably around 200w would be fine, I like the Stealth heaters (http://www.petsolutions.com/Visi-Therm-Stealth-Submersible-Heaters+I51303053+C1021.aspx )

Lighting really depends on a lot of things, so answer these questions if you dont mind:
1. What kind of corals do you wish to keep?
2. How Long is your tank?

I would also recommend an Aqua-C Remora protein skimmerm for a tank that size, definatly gives you some wiggle room when it comes to cleaning the tank!

All in all, dont skimp on reef equipment. If your serious about it, you'll end up replacing it in the future anyways!

-LJ

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
do you feel that there are any FISH for a 3- gallon tank?

Dreamsofpeace54

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
Maryland
If i wanted to do a 46 gallon bowfront tank, 3 ft long (is this considered Nano?), what exactly would i need? And i mean everything. I love the look of Lemon Peel angels and Clowns are nice too. Would the Angel be ok in that tank and would he hurt inverts? What other kinds of fish could i add. And what about anemones and easy corals? Lighting? Ahh?!?1 haha thanks for the help.

jus1975

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2006
Virginia
Many different nano systems out there. Which one should be left alone and which one is a good deal. I was looking at the Aquapod 24Gal. What do you think?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store