Questions about breeding hystrix

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
Hi guys I am looking into getting some brazilian hystrix. How old and what disk size do they have to be to breed? Does anybody have any experience breeding them? Also one last question if I successfully breed them, I was thinking of buying a coral tank to raise the pups in, the tank is 48" x 48" x8" high. The tank works out to be about only 80 gallons, but it has a lot of room and it would be overfiltered. Do you think this tank is to short? Thanks

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
stingray94;1363963; said:
Hi guys I am looking into getting some brazilian hystrix.
Make sure they are the Brazil type, lots of knock-offs going around with the ban on Brazil rays.. :D
How old and what disk size do they have to be to breed?
I would guess they would need to be around 12-13" disc size, and 2-3 years old out of the wild.. Maybe larger and older, as experienced raykeepers find that these rays are much less prolific than Motoros or other larger type rays..
Does anybody have any experience breeding them?
I am unsure of who has had success breeding, I think Frank in Holland has.. rvrrays and Big Daves Rays here on MFK both have experience with adult breeding groups, but I am unsure of production.
Also one last question if I successfully breed them, I was thinking of buying a coral tank to raise the pups in, the tank is 48" x 48" x8" high. The tank works out to be about only 80 gallons, but it has a lot of room and it would be overfiltered. Do you think this tank is to short? Thanks
That tank should be a fine grow-out for pups, you will just have to do more water changes depending on the amount of pups/feeding schedule.. You said it's a custom coral tank, so hopefully it will have an overflow on it.. Try to add a 90-100g sump underneath, that will double the water volume and help you out..

Hope that helps!

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
Wow thanks for all of the info. Yeah the tank has an overflow built in. The rays are true hystrix from brazil. I am buying them from a European wholesaler and he showed me a video of the rays eating and they were defianetly true hystrix. Thanks again

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I have had many histrix over the years and just recently got rid of my adult group.

They are my all time favorite ray. Their personalities are great, they are hardy and females max out at about 14".

There is a breeding pair over in Ann Arbor that a hobbyist has been fairly successful with.

Good luck,

Colin

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Colin, what is the status of the hobbyist providing Histrix to other prospective breeders?.. Would love to get some..

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
would love to see them get bred i would buy a pair... there was a trio up on here before that i wanted....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store