Sand

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I was wondering if having sand in your tank would make it harder to clean than gravel? Does it get stirred up and cloudy?

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
you just have to approach vaccuming it differently. get a much smaller and less turbulent gravel vac or siphoning device and go over the bottom skimming the detritus off the top. every so often you should agitate the sand on one half of the aquairum and do a water change. alternating sides every time you do the procedure.when you agitate, make sure all pumps are off so you dont get sand in there. the only reason you stir the gravel is that if left it will compact and form dead spots which could produce poisonous hydrogen gases that can kill fish. doing one side at a time allows the biological organisms responsible for you biofiltration do not get too depleted causing an amonnia spike. sand looks great in tanks, just have to be a little more careful than with gravel. give it a shot, if you keep it clean i find it brings more comments than a standard gravel substrate.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
if u ad sand. make sure tank has no fish in it first in my oppinon. And unplug all the filters to prevent them from sucking it up and cuaseing impeller damage to your filters. Id didnt do this and ruined three magnum canister filters this way./

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
using the right brand/type of sand will not create too much trouble, infact, ever since I started using sand, I never went back to gravel. I use Este's Reef Sand, however, it is safe for freshwater use also. it is very easy to clean and will not cloud your water.

Embowe

Feeder Fish
May 15, 2005
The black moon sand looks great but there is alot more upkeep to it...anything lighter in color shows up on the bottom right away...but think its worth the hassle....its looks unique

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
Sand is a breeze. If you have a good filter current, you don't need to vacuum the substrate at all; just change the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store