How to setup an emergency tank in one day !

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
Since I have seen so many questions on cycling a tank, I'd figured I'd add this post to make it clear to everyone on an emergency basis.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I have no scientific fact behind my way of setting up a tank. I didn't come with all this, this is simply knwoledge I have gathered from the past. I am in no way responsible of your outcome by doing the exact thing I am doing. I am not making you do this...this is to serve as guidance.

Scenario: You have an established tank and an emergency such as ich emerge and you need to isolate a fish to separate hospital tank.

1. Grab the new tank, fill it up 25 % with new water. Preferably aged water, but new tap with dechlorinator will work as well

2. Fill the rest of the tank with the old tank water. Some may say that OLD water is not necessary, I find it easier for a sick fish to make him feel right at home without too big of a drastic changes that can cause a shock.

3. Find your HOB filter, canister filter, bio balls, sponger filter and other filter media.

4. Squeeze the foam or rinse the bio balls into the new tank. Nasty stuff will come out. It may be pretty dark brown and may be clouding your new tank. It's okay don't panic.

5. Match the new tank temperature with the old tank temp.

6. Catch your sick fish, drip acclimate with the new tank for about 10 minutes or so and put him in the new tank.

Precaution: make sure the amount of fish that you are putting in the new tank DO NOT EXCEED the number of fish in the old tank. You're trying to bring the old established biological bacteria into the new tank. Do not wait more than a day to add in the sick fish. By doing this, you're starving the BB and they will all die and cause an ammonia spike.

I usually wait for 3-4 days for the new biological bacteria to seed and colonize the new tank before feeding the fish. Keep feeding to 2-3 times per week, you want to let the new tank settled with the BB to keep up with fish load.

Remember: You can use this method to cycle, assuming you have an old running tank with adequeate or larger bio load. Another word, do not use filter media from 10 gallon tank filled with 5 guppies to start a 200 gallon arowana tank.

If you have any addition, please feel free to add...I am open to learning.

PS: Don;t ask me why, or how do you know all this, or show me scientific proof and etc. Read the above disclaimer...

stan

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Great post. thats what i do but i also add in a rock or two from the old tank with bb already covering it.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Ok, so you guarantee this to work huh? . :j/k:

Like you said, this will work in a emergency... NOT to be confused with "I just bought 6 new fish and don't have anywhere to put them :nilly:"

A couple of minor change come to mind...

1) Rinse the filter material gently in the old tank water to remove the detritus, then place in new filter or float in tank to solve the dirty water problem that could cause harm to the sick fishes gills, and stress it out more. The bacteria will not easily wash out of the filter material.

2) Same thing with the Bio-balls, except they should not have been dirty to begin with ;).

3) Aerate the water! The more D.O. you can get in the water the better for the fish.

4) This is strictly dependent on type of fish and illness involved...add salt accordingly.

Good job on the post flamenco-t, and if anyone has a problem after doing this feel free to contact flamenco-t @ 1-800-howsmytankdoing (he usually answers on the first ring). :D

Dr Joe

turtlesrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2009
U.S.A
this is good info.. you can do something simular to cycle a 100 gallon tank in 1 day.. i am doing it on my 100 gallon and it works great. heres what i do.

1. i put 50% new water into my 100 gallon tank.
  2. i put water from other tanks until it is full.
  3. i take all my HOB, canisters, sponge filters, etc.. and keep all the media in them... and put them on the new tank!
  4. i set up the filter that i will regularly use with NEW media to clear up all the junk in the water.
  5. i let it sit my the entire night...
  6. then i put in the new fish,turtles, or whatever you are putting in it!
  7. i let the extra filters stay on for another 5 hours...
  8. i take of all the extra filters!
  9. and (if the water is super dirty) a 10% water change
  10. the end!
many of you will probably say this wont work.. BUT IT WILL! all the BB will take root very fast with all the old water, extra filters, and with the animals in the tank... well there you go.. the fastest way to seed BB!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store