my 150G transformation diary / From FOWLR to reef tank (will become a dial up worn )

Fish Finder

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
After many years with FOWLR i have finally decided to go reef in my home tank. This is going to be strictly a softie's and LPS tank. I still have quite some work to do on the tank before i have a successfully reef tank. About 3 week's ago i moved all my rock to the left side of the tank. I did so because i like the 1/2 rock 1/2 open space look of the tank and so do my fish. Another reason is because i am going to use the open space to place a rack to propagate coral for trade with ppl on the forums so i can get all the different nice colors that i would like for the tank. The tank has a deep sand bad it averages at 8". It was mixed up with white live sand and black easter island black to give me a salt and pepper look. I already have a lot of zoo's that will be coming to me when i am ready. Here's what i have on my tank now:

2 36" fluorescent lights
xp2 - This is my bio filtration (filled with bio balls)
xp3 - This is my mechanical filtration (i fill with cemi pure and other items)
med sand bed filter
coral life proteen skimmer (Dosn't produce nothing for crap so it's off but still hanging on the tank) Yes i know i am lazy lol
1 900 power head

I placed some cheep coral into the tank to see how they will do under what i have on the tank now and how my prim's were when it comes to coral. And i am happy to say there still here with me and look the same since I've gotten them.

Fish wise i have:

1 Bangaii cardinal
2 different kinds of dottybacks
1 yellow tang
1 scopas tang
1 mystery wrasse
2 clown fish
1 black clown fish
1 silk wrasse
1 red flasher wrasse
1 rusty angel
1 flame angel
1 huge rescue beta (has face rot from being in a guy's tank that didn't give a crap about the fish)
1 cleaner shrimp
1 banded shrimp

For those who are wondering there will be no more fish going into my system. The only fish i will add will be a bangaii once i find out what sex mine is to try to get a pair. The beta will be most likely moved soon as well.

I am picking up the day after chrismas my new reef light fixture from someone that is getting out of the hobby. He has used it for 4 months and decided to get out. The light fixture is:

72'' Current USA Outer Orbit lighting system
3x150w MH (Double ended)
4x96w PC's
Ballasts are built into the system
16 moon lights

I got it for a steal of $475. I can't wait to see it on the tank. It will make every thing look so much better. Next thing i am going to do is build a refugium. I'm thinking a tank between 20-30G(or bigger if i can get it to fit through my tank door. If anyone knows different ways to set them up please let me know. I also want to put the skimmer in the refugium if poss(my tank sits about 3" away from the wall so there is no room to hang one on the back. After that i am going to bild a rack to hold the corals i am propagating. Most likely ill use black egg crate and pvc. That's about all i have planed for the tank equip wise. If you have any suggestions on other things i should add or how to do something please suggest away.

Here are some pic's of the tank now (3-6 weeks ago these pic's were taken). Hope you like what i have done so far.

Eoibio

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
*+*+ireland+*+*
Hmm a close up of the marine betta!They're probally the nicest marine fish about...apart from the saltwater pinecone fish...forget its' name LOL

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
sweeTang21;2696655; said:
porcupine puffer??
Monocentris japonica
the pinecone fish

did you forget to mention the golden angel or is #3 just a goofy pic of the rusty?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store