Plumbing an AGA 210 MegaFlow – for mega flow

edtriou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2007
Seattle, WA
I love my AGA MegaFlow, I do...
But sadly, it comes with only (2) 1" drains and (2) ¾” returns.

That's not really megaflow, by any sense of the word. 1" at 600 gph sounds decent enough for FW, but by the time their quiet (ie: flow matches the air intake) their barely pushing 3x for this size tank. That would be reasonable for a wet/dry alone, but not for any other options (ie: more flow, fully stocked, closed loop, reactor, UV, etc). Since the tank will be up against the wall, I don’t want to do this again.

What I really want is more flow (ie: the name MegaFlow) with the ability to scale back rather than start with the bare minimum. AGA MegaFlow seems quite common, so I thought I would post what I did in some detail, in case it helps others.

So what to do...

I could drill larger holes myself; sure I’m a handyman, but I just sank 1K into glass, not going there. Have someone else drill them; plenty of shops willing to drill, few willing to replace my 1K. Then there are DIY overflows; did this before for a 135, worked quiet well, but given I have 4 'good' holes, seemed odd to leverage a siphon. Not to mention if I’m going to have extra piping on the back, might as well use that for returns, which don't need gravity.

So I decided upon; use all (4) holes for drains + add (2) 1” return lines.

(4) drains all 1” piping to match largest bulkhead, using sweeps to maximize flow:

(2) standpipes in each overflow, with increased pipe size to 1” and 1¼” for max flow:

I wanted both; no noise and surface skimming, most tend settle for one or the other. Given I have (2) standpipes per overflow, the larger (1¼”) is a Durso, as it’s hard to get a Durso quiet with 1” pipe, believe me I tried. The smaller (1”) is an open pipe, no durso, just slightly lower in the water level, with a ball value ½ closed. Together this equals surface skimming, no noise, and the larger durso handles any the extra flow. You’ll notice the cap is kylon, so you don’t see it through the teeth (my wife thought that was anal as well – grin).

Here’s the (2) 1” return lines up the back, black so you don't see them against the wall:

The returns empty into (6) ½” adjustable spouts across the top:

Each return line comes from its own pump. I used two smaller pumps, redundancy, less total wattage, cheaper, and quieter. Each pump can be scaled back with the T and ball-value for future usage of the extra flow. Note the sweeps aren't cemented in, just primed:

The sump is taken directly from seeing rallymans’ and the stickies, nothing beyond that here. Basically I also had an idea 55 lying around as well, sounded like a perfect use for it. Note, this is an older pic, prior to the cementing in of unions, ie: you want unions:

For media I used scrubbies (~400 of them), and I outsourced the sorting and stacking:

I also had a little 'help' in adjusting flow and ball-values:

Lastly, sump in operation doing a fishless cycle:

End result: I'm able to run (2) Quiet one 4000 pumps wide open (~1400 total gph at my height/angles) and the overflows have no problem out flowing them. In fact I've throttled back ball-values on the drains quite a bit (both to experience and to get perfect silence) still tons of flow. Getting somewhat closer to what megaflow should have been to begin, with simpler larger drains.

Note: This was solely focused on the plumbing, but if your interested in seeing of the stand or tank your welcome to hit the other thread.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102187

Ed

kyleking007

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
Indianapolis
looks great. dont forget about us on the pics once you get it stocked.

night flight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
ohio
For media I used scrubbies (~400 of them), and I outsourced the sorting and stacking:

Great looking setup on your filtration,especially hat's off to your outsourced sorters and stackers, nice neat job

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Looks like you found yourself some good, cheap help ;)

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I just setup a Durso in a small (75 gal) "reef ready" tank. I am also dealing with 1" bulkheads and used 1" PVC. I found that the Dursos really aren't that quiet. So far, my best result has been from drilling a single hole in the top plug and inserting a length of airline tubing. I tried to keep the amount of tubing above the waterline to a minimum. But I still had to have enough so I could adjust the height of the lower end of the tubing. By adjusting the height of the lower end of the tubing, I could tune it.

One recommendation that I came across was to put a U-shape in the drain hose. The idea is to keep as much air as possible out of the hose as it's often responsible for most of the noise.

The other suggestion was to put the return line underwater. That prevents air from entering the hose from below. This might be as simple as putting the end of the drain hose in a small bowl.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
looks good but i never messed with the flow on my 220 and turn over and all is great....

edtriou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2007
Seattle, WA
bukster;1373749; said:
where did u get the black adjustable spouts? i like em
Those are true DIY... :)
Basically just 1/2" PVC elbows, painted with satin Krylon.

Not cemented in, just hand tight so you can rotate them. Seated in 1/2" (gray) electrical pipe, not painted so it doesn't flake when you adjust them, but still blends in.

I thought about using loc-line, but for what I really wanted (surface agitation) I would've had much more pipe in the water with not nearly as clean a look, in my opinon. They also wouldn't have been $0.24 each, grin.

Ed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store