bio balls VS bio wheels

Deminon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
michigan
HI all, well for christmas i got a 90gallon tank (yay) and had a few questions. I have an emperor 400 duel bio wheel filter coming in the mail. i also have a bio ball filter already here. Now the questions. would it be better to run either the bio wheel or the bio balls or both? I would like to know this so i can keep the tanks nitrate and ammonia and other harmful stuff to a minimum. so does can anyone give me some info as to which would be more helpful.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
More filtration is ALWAYS better, sometimes...lol

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Deminon;1373353; said:
HI all, well for christmas i got a 90gallon tank (yay) and had a few questions. I have an emperor 400 duel bio wheel filter coming in the mail. i also have a bio ball filter already here. Now the questions. would it be better to run either the bio wheel or the bio balls or both? I would like to know this so i can keep the tanks nitrate and ammonia and other harmful stuff to a minimum. so does can anyone give me some info as to which would be more helpful.
redundancy with filters is always a good thing. It doesn't matter how many of these filters you go with, it will not reduce nitrates.

Raul-7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Lomita, CA
Too much nitrate is definitely a bad thing, but that doesn't happen until levels reach 50ppm. The only quick way to reduce NO3 is by doing water changes or by having plants.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
your filters job is to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate.

bukster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2007
Toledo
what do you mean by bio ball filter? like a w/d or something else?

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
What kind of bioball filter?
you reduce nitrates by keeping the mechanical filtration portion of your filter clean and regular waterchanges

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store