Would an african tiger fish be a bad idea with 3 gars and 3 aros?

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
Couple cats on the bottom too?

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
don't know much about ATF but you will probably need a lot of room the properly house everything you have together if you don't already have the room. probably more than 300g.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I'm not sure, but if the ATF would fit in the aros mouth i would consider it gone, also ive heard the ATFs grow slow, and i know that aro's grow fast (At least silvers do) I dont know much about the ATF but im sure someone will have the answer! good luck

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
rallysman said:
I'm not sure, but if the ATF would fit in the aros mouth i would consider it gone, also ive heard the ATFs grow slow, and i know that aro's grow fast (At least silvers do) I dont know much about the ATF but im sure someone will have the answer! good luck
Rallysman is right, if the ATF is small then I will say no. How big is the tank? To keep all those fish together you will need a big tank, but if the tank is big enough and the ATF is big enough I would say that it could be possible.

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
As already stated, ATFs grow S-L-O-W-L-Y, so if they are all babies now the ATF will get eaten. Gar and Aros grow quickly and it'll only be a matter of time before it happens.

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
It is a 300+g tank and love the ferocious loof of the atf! I would buy the size accordingly to the other fish, I just heard the the ATF if they can't swallow another fish they'll bite and cut its stomach out!? Is this true? He would be in a 300+ with 3 gars, aros, and some bottom dwellers, thats it. Tank is 96X30X26! Should I try it?

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
If I were to try it, I'd try to pick up an ATF that is a little bit larger than the Aro, so that it isn't out grow too badly and possibly eaten. Yes, ATFs can and do at times eat fish piece-by-piece when the prey item is too large to be swallowed whole, but the prey item is still usually much smaller than them (1/2 their size or smaller).
Here's what mine did to a 6" Tinfoil Barb. The ATFs were 12-14" at the time.

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
tigerfangs said:
If I were to try it, I'd try to pick up an ATF that is a little bit larger than the Aro, so that it isn't out grow too badly and possibly eaten. Yes, ATFs can and do at times eat fish piece-by-piece when the prey item is too large to be swallowed whole, but the prey item is still usually much smaller than them (1/2 their size or smaller).
Here's what mine did to a 6" Tinfoil Barb. The ATFs were 12-14" at the time.
Nice pic TFangs! :thumbsup:

I think that it will be too crowded in a 300g, ATF 's need more swimming room then arows, IME he will freak out and be constantly stressed, and could cause an injury to himself. I have seen some weird combo's over here, but all I can say is if you want to do it, watch the tank very closely. Cheers

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
you should only put preditors of any kind with fish roughly the same size...so as long as its not bigger the the gars u'll be fine

tigerfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
May 5, 2005
ashdavid said:
I think that it will be too crowded in a 300g, ATF 's need more swimming room then arows, IME he will freak out and be constantly stressed, and could cause an injury to himself. I have seen some weird combo's over here, but all I can say is if you want to do it, watch the tank very closely. Cheers
True statement. I recommend at the very least a 360g for a single ATF, but bigger is definately better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store