How i keep my bare bottom tank clean.(pics)

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
I recently converted my 135gal into a bare bottom tank. i like the look of it, except for the uneaten food and poop that would collect on the bottom. i was able to get it all to collect into one spot in the tank. it would collect right under the filter intake but not get sucked in. i wanted it to get sucked in so i wouldnt have to look at it until water changes and also didnt want to have to get powerheads to blow it around.(filter is a FX5) so what i did was simply remove the stainer from the intake tube and move the tube closer to the bottom of the tank. i lowered the tube 1inch from the bottom of the tank, and all the stuff collecting on the bottom of the tank got sucked in. now i have a very clean bare bottom tank with no junk collecting. i guess the trick to it was first getting the output postitioned just right so as to blow everything back to the middle of the tank. the fx5 has 2 outputs, so i pointed one to the front left corner and slightly down, and the other output was the opposite. i still have lots of circulation in the tank and surface aggitation as well. my fish are to big to get sucked into the tube so i didnt think it would be a problem, it also doesnt seem like the flow of the water was affected either. does anyone see any problems with this setup? this may be an easy fix for people with bare bottom tanks that have junk collecting in one or two spots in the tank. i just have to clean the filter more often now, but thats ok with me.:) heres a few pics of what i did.

100_2684.jpg

100_2685.jpg

100_2686.jpg

100_2687.jpg

ddyerfamily

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2007
Kentucky
www.youtube.com
I have same problem with my tanks.
All the poop collects under the filter inlet.
I use my python to totally remove it from system.

I just added a powerhead to stir it up, it just made a mess in the tank.
It took hours for the filter to clear the water !
Then I had to clean the prefilter again.
I left it to see how the fish (1 13" large pleco & 1 12+" Clown knife) like the current.
These 2 fish poop up a storm ! I am not kidding !

I am going to try dropping the tube on the filter like you did.
Great Idea,I don't know why I didn't see this fix before...

P.s. Love your Tank,severums are beautiful.

int3rsc0p3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2007
USA
I have the same problem and just remove it manually by siphoning. I've also found lowering the intake also works.

Loulou

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Mauritius Island, Indian Ocean
Your tank is nice :)

The poop sucker idea is a great one. :)

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
wow pacu mom! your filter setup is amazing! i wish i would have seen your poop sucker idea sooner. i guess my idea is more directed for tank owners with a more basic set up.

Jkoziatek

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
NY
ever consider powerhead aimed at the wall on an angle to bounce off and push around the poo?...

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Jkoziatek;1385396; said:
ever consider powerhead aimed at the wall on an angle to bounce off and push around the poo?...
I did consider a power head, i was going to get two, one for each end. but i thought i should try this out first, and since it works great, i saved $$$. Its still working great and no debris since i started it.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
joey020283;1385271; said:
wow pacu mom! your filter setup is amazing! i wish i would have seen your poop sucker idea sooner. i guess my idea is more directed for tank owners with a more basic set up.

It is exactly the same concept. I'm glad to hear it's working out so well for you! Why stir poop up in the water, when it can be sucked up off the floor by the filter uptakes!

JosephKarthic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2018
I know it's a 10yr old thread but this is the only thread came in Google search and i want to find an answer to my question..

I actually want to suck all the fish waste from my tank but not in to the filter... Bcoz the waste detoriates in the filter foam gradually and it dilutes them in the water rising the nitrates a lot sooner.. I've tested that.. This is why i think many people get high nitrates even with more water change Bcoz the poops are still in the filter foam mixing them in the water..

Is there a way to get it out of the tank every few hours by suction in some other way?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store