WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
Eastern Blue Groper
Achoerodus viridis (Steindachner, 1866)
Eastern Blue Groper

A male Eastern Blue Groper at a depth of 6 m, Kurnell, New South Wales, 1999. Photo © T. Hochgrebe. View larger image. View movie of this fish.
Eastern Blue Groper

A male Eastern Blue Groper at a depth of 12 m, 'The Gutter', Bass Point, New South Wales, December 2000. Photo © H. Rothenfluh & P. Zylstra. View larger image.
Eastern Blue Groper

An Eastern Blue Groper at Shark Point, New South Wales. Photo © Á. Lumnitzer.

The Eastern Blue Groper is a species well known to scuba divers in New South Wales. It is found in coastal, marine waters from southern Queensland to Wilson's Promontory, Victoria.

This species grows to 1.2 m in length.

Adults are found in a wide range of habitats from shallow waters, down to 40 m. Juveniles are usually found in estuarine seagrass beds.

Like most wrasses, as the Eastern Blue Groper ages, it passes through several stages. Juveniles are all female. As the fish matures, it goes through an initial phase (IP) during which the fish could be either male or female. Fully developed males develop the bright blue colouration. These fish have reached the terminal phase (TP). View more information on sex change in fishes.

The Eastern Blue Groper is particularly susceptible to spearfishing and in the past was taken in large numbers by spearfishers. As a result of this, the species was given total protection status in New South Wales waters in 1969. In 1974, angling and commercial fishing were allowed again, but spearfishing was still prohibited. In 1975, concern over the large catches by commercial fishers led to a ban on bottom-set gill nets. Blue Groper were banned from sale in 1980

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
now i want someone to get me one and aclimate it to freshwatter for my 150 gal.
just playing guys but wouldnt it be cool

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
only SW thing I want is a queen, blueline, or undulated triggerfish. Triggers aside, FreshWater species all the way.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
i agree piranah45. triggers are the true bad asses in my eyes. do damage not unlike piranahs, somewhat worse considering they could eat the bones too. if they traveld in shoals like the p's we wouldnt be scared of the sharks. i have had an undulated trigger that was a pure terror. after he grew and took over most of the tank save my half moon angel Pomacanthus maculosus. which was almost 10" the trigger at 7" destroyed him one day. after that he ate the only three other fish i put in with him. and adbujubee wrasse, 3' gold headed moray, and a big king angel. this was in a 180, and i even put up dividers for a while which he seemed to break through regardless , he would bite serious chunks from the plastic grating, and find his way through. after i got tired of replacing the plastic dividers i gave up. he went to a buddy who still has him alone in the same 180 that he bought off me so i could get my 300. he goes to the local fishing bait store and regularly buys him huge crawdads to keep his teeth trim. you DONT clean the tank with him in it. you will end up missing somthing. he goes into a 55gallon trash can at water change time.

CentralMayhem

MONSTER FISH EATER
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, California
Tritan triggers are BAD as well. they get huge and MEAN, queen, blue line, also great choices. if i could keep em with anything it would be great, but it takes a huge tank. nevr seen that grouper before, how about a napolean wrasse. talk about a monster. how big does that grouper get wicked

asaarcher

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2005
Can't stand triggers
I have scars all over my hands where I am cleaning tanks with triggers and my client will talk to me and as soon as I walk away BAM. They have three alternating teeth in front for grabbing on to a tiny amount of exposed crustacion and pulling it out of the exoskeleton. They are also extremely intelligent, I know a guy who had one trained to go through a hoop before eating.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store