Canister filter question

01yellowr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
NJ
I am thinking of using a canister filter on my new sw set up. What should I use as media? I have heard that the bio media ( bio balls )should be left out because the live sand and live rock do all the bio filtering I would need. Is that true? I have also heard that I should only use pool sand. What about rubble rock in the canister? What about carbon or filter floss? :nilly:

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
canisters are a bad idea because the create more nitrate than anything. if you going to use it take a piece of live rock and smash it into very small pieces and put that in some filter bags. never use pool filter sand, full of silicates and you will have algae growing out of the tank. carbon is fine it will help polish the water, and filter floss is fine too and shoud be the first thing the water touches. change that every 5th day to be safe. you can buy floss cheap in bulk packages and just cut it up to fit in your filter. if you dont change it regularly it will keep filling up with particulate mater and break down, decreasing the quality of your water over time. water changes must happen to keep the quality down. I would also highly recommend a skimmer of quality. this will also help remove crap from your water. if you dont buy one of these water changes become larger and more exspenisve.

IMO i would focus on getting a NICE skimmer rated for something maybe double your tank volume. this will help you more than anything. If your tank is large enough consider getting a sump as well so you can have the skimmer in the sump. doesnt really make it work better but it keeps it out of sight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store