10 sw set up

donk18

Feeder Fish
Oct 3, 2007
columbus, ohio
okay i convinced my wife in to letting my try a sw in my 10 gal. here are a few questions i have still after some research. will my 60 gallon hob be fine or will i need a protein skimmer as well. and how much live rock should i put in? i have been reading about 1 pound per gallon. is this true. also would two clowns do fine in there. thanks for any help. this sw thing is all new to me.

01yellowr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
NJ
I convinced mine to let me do the same thing about a year ago now I have my 10 gallon sw, 29 gallon fw 30 gallon sw and a planed 125 sw. I have two clowns in my 10 gallon now and they seem to be fine, you just have to keep up with water changes. I do 2 a month with about 4 gallons at a time. I have a rio mini skimmer on my tank now with a second hob and they seem to do fine. I have been told that you do not need a skimmer on a fish only tank by more than one person, but you have to keep up with water changes.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
a 10 gallon tank is considered a nano and you need to do water changes all the time. its not hard to find a skimmer for a tank of that size, but its not needed. You can use the hang on and be fine however, keep up on the cleaning of it. your nitrates can get out of control easily. i would also recommend some live rock and live sand. this will help with the bio filtration of the tank and help prevent ammonia spikes. I would also recmmend finding a source of RO/DI water for the reason that its much more stable. in a samller tank, anything that will help keep the water stable is a great idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store