08 not so good

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
yesterday my 14"to" Columbian motoro died. today i had to bury her. there was nothing obvious indicating the reason for her death. water was good nothing. i had got her in may and when i got her she was in husbandry for a year she was slightly under weight. since then she had never put on much weight always skinny. she had been treated with prazi pro and has been by her self. she has gone threw a few food strikes and has pulled threw them. i have always thought there was something wrong with her but could not tell you what. recently i placed a new Sm m motoro with her he was treated with prazi prior to introduction. and recently i wrote a thread hole in the head. this was about this Sm ray. i don't know what happened during that time but i had pulled him out and he is looking like he completely recovered. no noticeable effects on the larger ray eating etc. then a few days ago she started to refuse food again two days then dead. no Death Curl. just dead. i don't think that i am a bad ray keeper, but i sure have lost few rays some by learning mistakes i have made and mostly new rays not doing good since arrival. i just wont to share maybe there was something i over looked i wish i could have taken her somewhere for a necropsy but I'm sure there would be a expense and i don't know who i could have taken her to.

john

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
sorry for your loss....

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
That sucks..

Strange with those hunger strikes and the hole in the head.. Makes me wonder if there were other infections involved that prazipro couldn't treat? I know that 1 of my rays had columnarus (sp?) before I purchased it, and it had to be treated with some harsh meds to fix the issue.. luckily I had someone here to do a microscope sample of fecal matter to diagnose it and find more appropriate meds and less generics..

The ray almost died in treatment from the meds, but after they were removed he bounced back and is now my darkest, healthiest, hungriest ray.. the other 2 were just treated with Prazi and don't have the same dark coloration, appetite, or activity (they tend to stress and burrow more often).. but then again the robust male has been in captivity 2 months longer..

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
do u do routine water checks? i think a common mistake with rays are nitrate levels. ive had problems where a 50% water change every day wasnt even enough.

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
sry man bad way to start but it will get beter

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
vamptrev;1387759; said:
do u do routine water checks? i think a common mistake with rays are nitrate levels. ive had problems where a 50% water change every day wasnt even enough.

i do about 50% water changes twice a week and check water parameters usually once a week i do have to admit it is had to develop a routine water test but honestly i don't run into a water quality problem too often.

thanks for the sympathy.
john

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
Sorry about the loss.

If the fish has been unable to put on weight the entire time that you've had her, I'd wonder if there's some sort of intestinal parasite that the ray had that wasn't allowing her to gain weight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store