Gars compatible with Pickerels???

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
I put this post in the General hoping there are people that have knowledge on both Gars and Pickerels.

Long story short I have 3 LMB that are 3-4 inches long and 3 bullheads the same size. I plan on getting a Gar soon from the LFS to compliment my tank with a top dwelling fish. In the spring I plan on catching 1 baby northern pike becaue they look like killers for real. Only problem is they'll eventually get too big so I found out that the Redfin Pickerel maximum growth is only 12-14" long so this would be more ideal. They look almost the same exect for color and patterns but I believe they are from the same family type.

So would keeping the northern/pickerel be ok with the rest of my fish and the GAR. KEEP IN MIND that the pike/pickerel that I get will be smaller or the same size as the rest of the fish so the doesn't eat them. I know these fish are killers but will they attack a fish that's bigger than them???

Anyone who has knowledge of these species please help me out. I will get the GAR soon and wait till spring for the pike/pickeral, that way I can get them small in size.

Here's a pic of the redfin pickerel

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
they are from the same family as pike , musky, and chain pickeral. latin name Esox americanus americanus (redfin pickeral), Esox americanus vermiculatus) (mud or grass pickeral). i had a chain pickeral with a needle fish, pike cichlid, LMB, and jack dempsey. they will eat whatever they can swallow. it got along with the fish until it out grew them. Had a tiger musky too, same thing. you should be ok as they are the same size or larger then the pickeral.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
So you said it got along good until it outgrew them.....well what happen when it outgrew them may I ask.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
it ate the smaller slower fish. i eventually released it back into the river where i caught it. they are awesome predatory fish. at one point when i first caught it, it was with about 3 or 4 other pickeral. it ate them also. they were a bit smaller

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
I'd cry if it ate my other fish in there but I'll try to get that sucker smaller than the rest of the fish.

Gamefishin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Minnesota
Yeah I know I actually had a 11" Northern Pike in the Fall but that guy jumped out of my tank and died. I love the way they look and attack prey, it's like a real hunt is on.

ChickenTeeth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2005
Canada
Gamefishin said:
Yeah I know I actually had a 11" Northern Pike in the Fall but that guy jumped out of my tank and died. I love the way they look and attack prey, it's like a real hunt is on.
Yeah any fish dat fits in the mouth is food for the BIGGER fish!!! You want to know if the combination will result in unnecessary fightin ie. for reasons other dan food. Most fish will fight similar sized fish etc for territory, mates etc. Ur fisHy should have none of des reasons to fight. So i would guess it should be ok.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store