Need help asap. Fei Feng snapped

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So I went home at lunch today to find a dead ray. This thing looked like it was ran over by a lawnmower. I'm guessing it was my fei feng sucking all the slime off. Small one is 8 inches big one has to be around a foot. Small male is dead. Big male is mauled, looks terrible. All white. Female has a nickle sized hickey.

Can anyone tell me if I need to medicate to make sure I don't end up with infections?

I imagine a 50% WC, elevated temp, and salt would be a good start?

Both remaining rays ate when I offered food after pulling out the dead one.

In conclusion I strongly disaprove of Fei Fengs. Little bastids were fine for months with the rays without problems. Then all of a sudden........SNAP.

Any help in this time if fishkeepingcrisis would be GREATLY appreciated.

sjick

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
monster
:iagree:

maybe stupid Q.. But whats a fei feng?

Adding salt and heat is a good start...

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
remove the fei fang(flag tail prochilodus) then add some salt...

eman b115

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
sjick;1396676; said:
:iagree:

maybe stupid Q.. But whats a fei feng?

Adding salt and heat is a good start...
fei feng aka flagtail aka semaprochilodus

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
ouch!

how big was you ff?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
eman b115;1396709; said:
fei feng aka flagtail aka semaprochilodus
AKA Armatus chewtoy AKA Fahaka food (kidding......or am I?? LOL)

:irked:

Heading home for a-salting now.

The big FF IS (not was) around a foot. Little one is 8in.

Thanx in advance guys.

I hope the others pull through.

Lesson learned. If it has scales it can't be trusted. No matter how innocent it may appear for months all it takes is ONE evening.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
it normaly take a long time for a flagtail to do that damage unless the rays were sick to start

my flagtail only used to suck on my preg female when she was having pups and never when near the other rays when the female had the pups the flagtail would leave her alone

even when the flagtail used to suck the ray would just move to another part of the tank and it never done any real damage

i dont like adding salt to a tank if the fish has a wond it would be like rubbing salt in the wond i know i wouldnt like thats for sure

use melafix i know some people dont like it but has always worked wonders for me

it will help rebuild the slim coat that the flagtail has sucked off

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
So its possible a combination of things could have been the cause instead of just the FF?

Maybe say a bigger male ray? 2 males and 1 female in the tank. The bigger male is probobly around 11-12in. The smaller one was 8-9in. Also a bigger CK in there too.

I'll try to get some pics of the "hicky" thats on the female. Maybe you guys would have an idea what did it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store