Breeding Guppys

ccdoido38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
s
Lately I've been finding tiny baby guppys in my tank, which the family members quickly eat up but today I decided to set up a breeding tank.

Currently the tank temp. that I found the babies in were 78~80F
I will now be placing the pregnant guppys in a un-heated tank but will they still breed?
I'm not sure if it'll work out in a room temp. tank at this time of year.

Are they breeding because the tank is warm, thus making the guppys think that it is spring or summer?

By the way, these aren't tropical fancy guppys, wild-caught cold water guppys or mosquito fish, or some kind of gambusia.

Should I heat the breeding tank?
Right now I just have a 10gallon tank set up with no filter(or heater) for the 2 tiny babies i pulled out right now. And also a pregnant mother that is in a big net until I can get those guppy breeding boxes.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
can't help you but you will ahve a better luck in the breeding section :) i'm pretty sure they will breed in a room temp tank. good luck.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
yes:)

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Ok, we have a bit to work with. First of all, you will need a filter AND a heater. Guppies breed year round every 4 weeks. Make sure the filter is cycled and you provide cover for the fry. Are these fish just plain grey?

ccdoido38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
s
I did'nt want a filter since the flow would probably blow the fish away and also suck up the babies.

cover as in plants?
just plain gray with this black dot on stomache. they're not fancy guppys that REQUIRE heaters. just normal wild-caught COLD water fish.
but i was wondering if i need a heater since i thought they were giving birth because the tank is warm, thus making the fish think it's spring or summer(when most animals breed)

so currently i got an pump and have the output faced upwards to get surface aggitation, also covered the intake with mech. media as to not get any fry. and also placed a couple established bio media above the output. and also a heater above the output.

but do these wild cold guppys need heaters to breed at this time of year? or do they breed even in the cold winter?

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Gupps breed year round. And that black spot are the eyes of the fry inside the female. If they are cold water fish, then they are not guppies. They can live in coldwater for a short period of time but are classed as tropical fish and anything in the range of 75F-82F will do. What are the plans if these fry survive?

ccdoido38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2007
s
well it must be a really big eye for a baby, since the black spot is bigger than the mother's eye!
it's some kind of gambusia then.

again, i already said they're not TROPICAL GUPPYS that are fancy or have flashy tails.
"fancy" guppys need heaters. these obviously don't since i have caught them outside.

so can i unplug the heater or not and still have them breed?

is there anybody else to help?

aquariumguy2300

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2007
Massachusetts
They don't need a heater to breed if they are coldwater fish. They are most likely mosquito fish. Mosquito fish breed at room temperature so as long as you have the room at 65+ degrees, they will breed. They will also breed in the winter time, but they will be less active.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
yea use a filter a sponge filter would be the best thing to go for. no heater need. they are most likly a mosquito fish. goodluck with this. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store