needlenose gar

uhjkool

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2005
Bismarck, ND
HI everybody! I am so glad i found this site today, i cant believe there is so much info on all these fish! Anyways i have a needlenose gar and i was wondering what is the max length on these bad boys? :drool:

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
needle nose gar are not true gars they are usually -Xenocara dolichopterus -Anne

tdubblea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2005
M
I have 2 needlefish....do they only eat live fish and ghost shrimp? I hear bad things about putting feeders in a tank

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Needle fish are often stubborn to the point of starving when it comes to eating nonliving food, if you use feeders try mollies and guppies, just keep a couple weeks worth in each of 2 storage tubs in water containing 2 teaspoons salt per gallon and a sponge filter or 2. Keep them that way for 2 weeks before using and feed them a good quality diet. This will prevent most feeder related problems. Needlefish will also eat moths, crickets, and even mealworms.

mauls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Kansas City, Missouri
I got two needles, there pretty cool, they just sit and chill. I dont feed mine live food, i feed them frozen krill and they dotn have a problem with that

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
mauls said:
I got two needles, there pretty cool, they just sit and chill. I dont feed mine live food, i feed them frozen krill and they dotn have a problem with that
Cool, I have heard of people that converted them with no problems but have also heard of them getting so close to starvation that they became vulnerable to infection and died. the couple I have kept got live food, mainly crickets and guppies. It was no special problem as I fed those to several other fish as well.

zipperfish45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2005
ok, usa
I can get long nose gar babies out the Deep Fork River in the summer. I use a sane in the grassy small pools coming off the river.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store