Hair Algae

mishelly111

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brantford, Ontario CA
Hello All,

I need some help. I have a 150G with Angles, Corys, Tri color shark, Platies, Plecos etc. I have hair algae that I can't get ride of. I purchased 3 Amano Shrimp Friday night, 10 minutes later 1 left. Yeah, Angles went after them. One of my Angles is about 5 inches in diameter and very agressive. So, Saturday I purchased 3 Siamese Algae eaters, Yeah, you got it, within 5 minutes the big Angle had the tail of one sticking out of his mouth. (Sorry, didn't get a pic, hubby took our camera on his snowmobiling trip!!!:WHOA:) Now the other 2 seam to have lived 2 days. Does anybody have any suggestions on what else might help? At this moment I can't remember the name of the plants I have. I have them written down at home because I always forget the names. The main plant in my tank is long, tall blades of grass. Any help would be appreciated.

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
If it is black or brown you can get some large feeder comets, or shubunkin gold fish. Your tank stocking doesn't seem bad for these guys and they will destroy your algae problem quick.

Sundew

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Daytona Beach, Florida
It would not hurt to keep a group of algae eating fish in your tank. Some really good ones are: Shrimp are only good with small peaceful fish as a rule.

Siamese Algae Eater (aka Siamese Flying Fox, NOT Chinese Algae Eater or Common Flying Fox). These may nip the angels fins. They constantly go over the plants and glass for algae, but less so as they age.

Ottos. Small algae eating sucker catfish.

Bushy Nosed Ansistrus. Very good algae eater. Keep in pairs if possible unless it's a big tank with lots of hiding places, as males will fight.

American Flagfish: Eat algae but may pick at plants and long fin fish.

Or:

School of pacus: eat everything green, even plastic. Sorry just kidding!:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store