"yellow hystrix" (Peru motoro variant?) info

Tucc185

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
www.reef2rainforest.com
Thinking about picking up what the LFS calls a "Yellow Hystrix". Looks a lot like the Peru motoro variants that have been coming in and I was wondering what to expect from it. Anyone have any clue on max size? Will they get as big as the motoros? It's been at this particular store for a while now, I've had my eye on it since the day it came in. Any experience with this species long-term? its in excellent condition and eating very well so I'm not too concerned about that, just really looking for more species-specific information. Thanks!

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
ugly bland ray that usually comes in about 5-6" and maxes 18-20".. no ones really sure though. I agree with FRP it's usualy an Orbignyi ray..

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
probally not worth the money they want....

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Some Peru motoro variant dont look too bad. If the price is right go for it. A couple years ago I saw a picture of one in TFH about 18" that was caught during a collecting trip so they get at least that big and if I recall it was a male!

Tucc185

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
Boulder, CO
www.reef2rainforest.com
This one seems to look pretty good, at least a lot better than most retics (except mine of course) and its really a pretty good price. Not too many options around here other than retics or motoros for less than $200, so I thought it might be interesting. It really doesn't look much like the orbignyi pics I've seen, although I realize they are a pretty polymorphic group. If I do decide to take her home I'll post pics. Thanks for the info.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store