pacu question

aidenb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Canada
how big of tank will a red-belly pacu need? will it be ok in a 6' x 20" x 20" for life? if not how long could it live in there? Is it true that they usually top out at 18" inches?

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
No your 6x20inchx20inch will not be ok for life. Just off the top of my head, I believe that is 150 gallons, which is way too small. A RBPacu tops off at 3 foot, not 18inches. The average is 3 foot, not the largest, so they all usually top off at 3 foot. For a RBPacu to live in for life, I would say around 1000 gallons. This summer I am going to set up a 1100 gallon pond for my RBPacu and RTC. I know this size of tank is not even realistic for the average hobbyist, even the "MFK" hobbyist, so the best option if you want one is a pond-which are alot cheaper than aquaruims. A circular pond is also better, because they are not the best swimmers and with a circular pond they will be less likely to get scared and run into the side of the pond.

Edit: RBPacu grow at around 2-3 inches a month. After it gets to 15 inches, I would take him out of your tank. If you bought him at the 2-3 inch mark like most people do, then he will outgrow your aquarium in 4 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store