requiem sharks question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roflcopter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
USA
Ive been looking about and have recently seen people selling requiem sharks in CA.I thought requiem sharks were illegal?

Roflcopter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
USA
Or,i meant to say Carcharhinidae

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Tomhankstheshark;1420447; said:
Or,i meant to say Carcharhinidae
Yeah - Carcharhinidae basically includes all requiems, except for the hammerheads & Bonnethead.

Still if I understand, it's not so much that Carcharhinidaes are illegal to keep - as it is that they require special permits to kept by private aquarists.

Also keep in mind that often times - requiems such as Blacktip & Whitetip Reefs are imported in to the United States thru California. Then are sold by various dealers (in California) to LFS & dealers other states.

sharkdealer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
los angeles
The wording in the fish and game code is not that clear. When it states that sharks of the family Carcharhinidae are prohibited it states "Freshwater sharks" in parenthesis. I would imagine that they are only worried about sharks that can adapt to freshwater or inhabit freshwater (i.e. Bull and Glyphis river sharks, etc.). Carcharhinid sharks are far too common here to be illegal as a whole. And the way Fish and Game likes to bust peoples' b*lls around here I doubt that they would let people slide. They would be out in force citing every pet store and wholesaler. Funny thing is, if you look in one of the DFG's own publications (Guide To The Coastal Marine Fishes Of California, CA Fish Bulletin 157) you'll find that they consider the Bull shark to inhabit CA coastal waters (albeit as a rarity). In this book you'll also find other sharks of the family Carcharhinidae occuring in CA waters (Dusky shark, C. obscurus; Narrowtooth shark, C. remotus-now C. brachyurus; Oceanic White-tip, C. longimanus).

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
ya you can buy a black tip reef shark in CA but you need a tank of 5,750 gallons to keep one or two ;).

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
thefishofdoom;1531385; said:
ya you can buy a black tip reef shark in CA but you need a tank of 5,750 gallons to keep one or two ;).
Dunno where your getting your info but its totally wrong. More like 30,000 gallons for blacktips.

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
chrisdef15;1531457; said:
Dunno where your getting your info but its totally wrong. More like 30,000 gallons for blacktips.
30,000 is over doing it but be awesome and very ideal for the shark but u can keep them in roughly 6,00 gallon. plus they only get about 5 feet long so not to big

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
thefishofdoom;1531385; said:
The Big problem is Your quoting Scott Michael's book "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" which is known for it's underestimations of minimum tanks sizes. He's underestimated every shark species he lists in his book - by at least 50%, and in many cases by 200% or more.

His 5,750 gallon tank of a Blacktip reef -only works, if you consider it as a minimum for keeping a Blacktip Reef until sexual maturity (which is about 40").

30,000 is over doing it but be awesome and very ideal for the shark but u can keep them in roughly 6,00 gallon. plus they only get about 5 feet long so not to big
I have to disagree with you - But NO IT CAN'T. At least not for it's entire life any way. Maybe for a few years - before it reachs maturity. I've heard of several people attempt to keep blacktip reefs - using Mr. Michael's figures - and the result has always been the same - The shark either out grow the tank or died prematurely. Also planning for a Blacktip Reef to only reach 5' long -is asking for trouble. Especially since the species is very capable of reaching 6' in the wild(with some reports that it may exceed 6').

If your planning to keep a single adult Blacktip Reef for life then you will need a pond/lagoon of at least 20,000-25,000 gallons with a minimum footprint of 650-700 sq.ft.

Truth is no requiem shark should be kept in a 6,000 gallon pond/lagoon for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store