Electric blue Dempsy Spawing question

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Hey guys,

I have a question about spawning the Electric Blue Jack Dempsy. I got in 6 of them last week and had a guy interested in buying all of them last night. His intentions are to try to get a spawning pair. (these are all little guys right now, 3" or so) I told him that, that would be cool if he had these guys spawning and I'd buy the fry for sure when he had some.

Isn't there something screwy about spawning these guys and getting the fry to be electric blue? I seem to remember that there is more to it than simply spawing two electric blues together to get electric blue fry. Dose any one know what the facts are about this? What combination of adults causes eletric blue fry? What are the approxament %?

THanks...Joel

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
Aye, with 6 electric blues this guy will never get electric blue fry. Here is how it goes:

1- Spawn an electric blue with a specimen of the regular variant. This will result in a spawn of the regular variant.
2- Take one fry from the resulting batch, and have it spawn with the original electric blue. Then there is a chance to get electric blue fry.

Breeders redo this process a few times to ensure the fish have the necessary genes to breed electric blues. The electric blue is a natual variant of the JD, and therefore has to do with genes.

So as you can see, you need a very large and very organized spawning system and lots of tanks to get electric blue fry. A guy once wanted to buy my adult electric blue to breed with his female, but there is no chance unless you are very knowledgable and have lots of room.

Hope this answers!

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
what kind of gene is it? how many genes does the blue color involve? is it dominant or recessive? does it need to be heterozygous or homozygous? i don't get why you would need to breed back and forth to get the blue

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
Ok, I have gone thru that process with freshwater angelfish trying to make a resessive trate a dominate one.

Where are you getting this information? I am interested in learning more about it.

THanks...Joel

gilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
the blue gene is a simple recessive. When you breed a homozygous blue to a homozygous normal all of the babies are heterozygous for the blue gene...it is best to breed heterozygous females back to blue males....just not dad...they seem to be very weak with the father/daughter inbreeding. By doing this 50% of the fry will be homozygous blue and 50% will be heterozygous blue. By breeding heterozygous blue to heterozygous blue you will make approx 25% homozygous blue, 50% heterozygous blue and 25% homozygous normal. you CAN breed blue to blue....but the fry are very weak and rarely make it 3 days. You will also notice that the blue fry are much weaker than the normal ones and will get picked on very fast and expire. I recomend seperating any you find near the surface of the water once they become free swimming as these are most likely blue ones. I can spell it out without the big words if someone needs to. I also have many heterozygous young dempseys if someone wants to play with them and see what happens, also have a breeding pair of homozygous blue male and homozygous normal female I might be able to be convinced to let go.

finsandfangs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2005
next to da beech... boyee
i have read this in a few places too

breed a blue and a regular
take those fry and you can either breed them together or with a blue. it is a resseive trait so you need two fish with the ressesive trait or one with the ressesive and one blue dempsy

gilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
I thought I might add this

heterozygous means that the geneotype and the pheneotype are different meaning that the animal in question will carry the recessive trait but not show it

homozygous means that the geneotype and the pheneotype are the same weather it is dominate or recessive

I hope this helps

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
thanks for clearing all the up gilly, but some minor corrections and explanations if i may:

phenotype = what is expressed (dominant genes will be expressed over recessive genes)
genotype = what is in the genes - what the actual pair is
heterozygous = a pair of genes with each of the pair being different
homozygous = a pair of genes with the genes being the same (homo = same)

gilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
correct but if the phenotype is expressed as recessive and the dominate gene is not expressed then the pheno type would be recessive

Cryptoheros

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Friend of mine has a beautiful male that we've been trying to find a female for...I am wondering if anyone has noted any extra aggression or lack of aggression with the Blue Dempseys?I've heard a few whispers that the blues are milder temperament wise...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store