Riddle me this...

twhittle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2007
Clarkston, Wa
So I am surfing on another site recently and was showing off my 210. I was harpooned for my stocklist and given strict "you need this many gallons per fish." This is what I was told (assuming full size of course).

14 inch oscar- 55 gallons
5 inch oscar-55 gallons
10 inch JD-40 gallons
10 inch GT-40 gallons
9 inch tex-40 gallons
8 inch godmani-40 gallons
6 inch jag-75 gallons
3 x 5 inch cons-15 gallons each=45 gallons
5 inch FM-15 gallons
4 inch festae-75 gallons
3 inch midas-55 gallons
4 inch pike cichlid=30 gallons
6 inch Uaru-55 gallons
2 inch Cuban-55 gallons
18 inch pleco-75 gallons
6 inch Raphael Cat-30 gallons

I was told I would need between 700-800 gallons to keep all these fish. If that is true, wouldn't I even now see fast nitrate creep? Do the numbers they gave me hold true in tanks with multiple fish, or are they guidlines for minimum tank sizes for solo fish?

Now, I use API liquid freshwater test kits and have for years. I follow the instructions to the letter. So here is the ??? How when I have had a solo Oscar in a 55 gallon with two AC 110's as filters, my nitrates went over 20 ppm in 7-10 days when my 210 which is much more densley stocked and filtered with 2 ac 110's, 1 penguin 350, and 2 fluval 305's is sitting at 10 ppm after 18 days? Why can I have slower nitrate creep in a more densely stocked 210 than a solo 55?

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
MFK has a reputation of being on the liberal extreme of stocking… it sounds like you were advised per the most conservative perspective…

Just like most things in life, the reality probably lies in the middle somewhere…

You can get away with a lot more in large tanks than you can small tanks. Plus not all of the suggestions you listed were logical… 5” O needs 55 gal but a 10” GT only needs 40?… that’s just not logical… it sounds like the # for the Oscar is based on solo “for life” requirements and the GT’s sounds like it is based on what it would need in a large community tank…

In the end… if your fish aren’t having aggression problems, aren’t being stressed and your water quality is in check… then your not overstocked… pushing the limits isn’t a good idea unless you have other tanks to transfer weak/brutal fish to…

But never forget the absolute most important rule to fish keeping… enjoy your tanks… ;)

Sorry I couldn't word that as a riddle...

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
nc_nutcase;1430659; said:
MFK has a reputation of being on the liberal extreme of stocking… it sounds like you were advised per the most conservative perspective…

Just like most things in life, the reality probably lies in the middle somewhere…

You can get away with a lot more in large tanks than you can small tanks. Plus not all of the suggestions you listed were logical… 5” O needs 55 gal but a 10” GT only needs 40?… that’s just not logical… it sounds like the # for the Oscar is based on solo “for life” requirements and the GT’s sounds like it is based on what it would need in a large community tank…

In the end… if your fish aren’t having aggression problems, aren’t being stressed and your water quality is in check… then your not overstocked… pushing the limits isn’t a good idea unless you have other tanks to transfer weak/brutal fish to…

But never forget the absolute most important rule to fish keeping… enjoy your tanks… ;)

Sorry I couldn't word that as a riddle...

Or a good friend down the freeway with lots of tanks....Sound advice :)^^^

Betts

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2007
Perth, Australia
twhittle;1430615; said:
How when I have had a solo Oscar in a 55 gallon with two AC 110's as filters, my nitrates went over 20 ppm in 7-10 days when my 210 which is much more densley stocked and filtered with 2 ac 110's, 1 penguin 350, and 2 fluval 305's is sitting at 10 ppm after 18 days? Why can I have slower nitrate creep in a more densely stocked 210 than a solo 55?
i reckon its because larger bodies of water, combined with more powerful filtration and more filter media, creates a stronger and far more effecient bacteria cycle, which can break down nitrates and ammonia much quicker than in a tank with less water, oxygen etc

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
It must be something in the air or they're just like any other sheep. All the gallonage sizes they listed are roughly half of what each fish needs. Dont trust them.

Chago09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
Ontario
well if those fish are all in one 210 gallon tank then yes you are way overstocked. Although counting your stock list by putting the individual requirements and adding them together is IMO retarded.

A 55 gallon is a min for a oscar because he needs the 4 foot tank to swim back and forth. By using there method they are saying that 3 Oscars in a 150 gallon would be pushing it. Which is horribly wrong, you can easily easily keep 3 oscars in a 150 gallon.

Although your tank still is overstocked. Maybe not so much now although once all your fish start to get bigger they will either kill each other or your water is gonna be brutal very fast after water changes.

jasonmac978

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
MASS
My philosophy on overstocking is this: do WHATEVER you want, it's YOUR tank. Who cares what other people think? If you ask a question, they will simply give advice. You can choose to take the advice and use it, or move on. At the end of the day, it's your hard-earned money and hard work that make the tank work. If you want to keep all of those fish in the same tank, DO IT! Just keep in mind, there can be consequences for your actions (stocking levels), so be preared to deal with them as (when) they arise. People need to remeber that this is a hobby, and the most important aspect of ANY HOBBY is fun and relaxation...Just my $0.02

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
Twhittle, I think there's good points to both sides of the story. On one hand, it's your money and it's only a hobby and we're supposed to enjoy our tanks. On the other hand, we're dealing with live animals. Whenever that's a factor, there will always be people who want to make sure the livestock is being treated humanely. A lot of your fish are small right now and I'm sure that when they start to grow, you'll make the right decisions if they should all stay or a few should need to be in another tank. :thumbsup:

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Betts;1430719; said:
i reckon its because larger bodies of water, combined with more powerful filtration and more filter media, creates a stronger and far more effecient bacteria cycle, which can break down nitrates and ammonia much quicker than in a tank with less water, oxygen etc
It doesn't how big a filter is in fresh water, it cannot denitrify nitrate. Nitrate will be the end product of any generally used FW filter system.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
you also have to remember that those fish get a minimum tank size for them to move around in. You can't fish one oscar in a 40g, but you can fit 2 in a 75! Even though there is less water per fish, there is more room for them to swim around. As you start adding fish, amount of water and tank size don't increase proportionally, dealing with bioload does.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store