Cycle speed up?

ricey0809

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2008
new york
I was woundering if there is anyway to speed up a cycle without hurting my tank in the furture. Would stuff like stress-zime or "cycle" help speed things up. i have alittle 10 gal tank with 2 samll firemouths in there.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
is the tank w/ the fish already cycled? if not then you should find a cycled home for them for the moment until the tank cycles. "cycle" and some of the other snake oil products might help speed up the cycle but not very signifcantly, the best one is bio-spira which will cycle your tank almost overnight and adding subtrate or media from an established tank greatly speeds things up.

muckieman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2007
georgia
yes use bio-spira it will work great.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
All bio-spira is...is active BB suspended in a liquid and kept inactive by low temperitures. It also contains a set amount of amonia to start the feeding process. Once you add it to the warm tank water the BB (benificial bacteria) reactivates and searches out the best place to colonize...(your filter media...substrait and the like.)
There are no problems associated with using it....short OR long term.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
yes. I've done it many times. I keep several doses on hand in case of emergancies in fact.

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
yep, it should drop your ammonia reading in under 24hrs and cycle your tank much more quickly, although some used media/substrate from somebody elses well established tank will have a similar effect, although sometimes not as significant.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store