Gar & Arow's - Strange behavior

95Harley

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Baltimore, MD
The last few weeks before my Silver Aro pasted away I noticed my Florida Gar was swimming side by side with him sort of rubbing his nose on the Aro's side. Strange? I just figured as he knew he was dying.

Tonight I found a new 8" Jardini to replace my Silver and the 14" Gar started doing the same thing to the new tankmate.

Anyone else ever saw this?

It sort of freaked me and the Jardini out for a while....we both thought the Gar was trying to eat him. But after watching closely for over 30 minutes it seems it's his way of saying Hi.

Wierd?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
this is often considered dominance behavior by the gars, and is definitely just a form of social interaction with other fishes. gars tend to do this with each other quite often, and it's interesting to see hierarchies form among tankmates.

it should be noted, however, that a jardini and gar are not a good combo, and as soon as the jardini get some size on him (if the gar doesn't try to eat him first), it will start being quite aggressive towards most tankmates (this combo often ends up with the gar relegated to the bottom of the tank...pretty much at all times, day/night).--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
not to mention the jar might just decide that it wants to be the only living thing left in HIS aquarium..

95Harley

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Thanks guys...yes I know the risk and have a tank divider standing by. I have however seen Jar's with other fish so I'm taking the chance.

The Gar will eventually outgrow my tank anyway and I will have to let him move on to another owner...but it's my ST that I'm more worried about...just can't run out for $25 and replace him!

I will watch closely and at the first signs of trouble I will seperate and make a decesion.

Thanks though.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
yea.
be ready.
ive seen my gar doing this to my other fish before he went into the pond.
especially does it to my tilapia.
but my tilapia always turns around and pushes him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store