my pleco has started acting strange

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
i have a commen pleco, about 7 inches, yesterday i bought a smaller albino pleco, its about 3.5 to 4 inches. well my lager pleco has started to pick on the new pleco and everything else in the tank. they are both in a 55 gallon tank, i bought the new pleco cuz my first one became real lazy, it never moved and wasnt doing a good job keeping the tank clean. why is it that after i introduced a new pleco it became more active and some what aggressive.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Because it is bigger and they can be aggressive.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
s15240drifter;1450239;1450239 said:
i have a commen pleco, about 7 inches, yesterday i bought a smaller albino pleco, its about 3.5 to 4 inches. well my lager pleco has started to pick on the new pleco and everything else in the tank. they are both in a 55 gallon tank, i bought the new pleco cuz my first one became real lazy, it never moved and wasnt doing a good job keeping the tank clean. why is it that after i introduced a new pleco it became more active and some what aggressive.
Your larger one became more aggressive because the space you have them in isn't sufficient. They aren't doing a good job cleaning your tank, because they aren't true algae eaters, and you aren't feeding them properly. Read the nutrition sticky at the top of the pleco section.

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
WyldFya;1451956; said:
Your larger one became more aggressive because the space you have them in isn't sufficient. They aren't doing a good job cleaning your tank, because they aren't true algae eaters, and you aren't feeding them properly. Read the nutrition sticky at the top of the pleco section.
wow, i just read that sticky, i had no idea they needed more to eat than just algee. if you wouldnt mind tho, what o you think the best diet is for a common pleco.

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
what o you think the best diet is for a common pleco.
They are omnivores and will eat almost anything :D

There is just not enough algae in a normal tank to feed a large pleco.

But best diet seems to be a mix of sinking Spirulina or Algae tablets and fresh veges like zuchini, cucumber, green beans, mushroom etc. An occasional meaty treat like shrimp pellets or a whole shrimp is good for them too.

The agression toward a new pleco is pretty normal too. Hopefully they will work things out and settle down. There may be a few ripped fins before that happens though.

Cheers

Ian

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
They will be settling territories to start with. I'd give them about a 65:35 veg:meat diet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store