Possible to keep three 5 inch O's with a 4 inch RTC for life in 1200 gallon pond

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Would I have any luck at all in keeping 3 5 inch oscars with a 4 inch rtc in a 1200 indoor pond for life? I was hoping with the available space, the rtc would leave the oscars alone. Does this have any chance of happening?

I am hoping of keeping a silver arowana, 3 oscars, a pacu, and an rtc in a 1200 gallon pond. If raised from around 3 inches, do these fish have any chance together?

Edit: I mean for around 2-4 years-not for life.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Depends on if you miss a feeding... if there are places for the Oscars to hide... but it isn't very likly that you will keep them all in that tank together without losses. Once an RTC locks onto eating something ... it's just a matter of time till it gets it... might have to wait weeks or months till it's big enough but it WILL get it sooner or later.

As the Saying goes... RTC's don't have tankmates, just means their saving for later.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Thanks for the quick reply. I am really having doubts with the oscars in the pond. I figure if I get the pacu and silver aro at around 8 inches, and the rtc at around 5 inches, then they should be able to keep up on growth rate with the rtc. Is this correct?

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
maybe the pacu but the aro will most likely be food. a friend at the zoo showed me a pic of a 3' aro on the mouth of a 4' RTC

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
No ... nothing grows as fast as a RTC does in the first year it will be between 18" - 24" but the pacu Might have a chance due to how Thick they are... the Aro has the advantage of sticking to the top water... so if your pond is deep then you might have a shot.

Those Oscars most likely wouldn't make it to see 6".

My RTC went from 5" to 9" in like a week and a half to two weeks just to give you an idea of the growth rate potential of this fish.

Bgonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Monroe twp NJ
I say nothing but a pacu has a chance. I've seen some pretty big pacu's in my time but anything short of a three foot round fish is guaranteed fish food. Anything long and skinny is an easy target.

RTC's need to be kept alone if you want total success. If you ever could grow one to 4' I wouldnt doubt if it wouldnt try to eat a 3' pacu either :D

bob

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store