white stringy poop

fishguts

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
pennsylvania
doesnt that mean internal parisite? already treated him for that but still has it. is that what it is? fish is festa

japes

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
If it's really long and thin, like hairlike (depending on the size of the fish), and continues to be like that for more than a single meal, it would indicate internal parasites.

I've had fish have long stringy poo before (only once, not recurring at the next meal) but it's cleared up without any medication or change in diet. If your festae's diet appears to be lacklustre or impaired compared to normal I would consider dosing with an anti parasite medication.

I can't recommend any to you unfortunately.

darthodo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Georgia
It sounds like hexamita which can be associated with bloat. I have used metronidazole with good results. I sometimes use esom salts in conjunction sometimes to clean the fish out. I use the epsom salts at 1 tablespoon per gallon.

Tango374

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
MI
Agreed that it sounds like Hexamita. I'm treating my GT for the same thing with Clout

mbeatrice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
boston
im having the same problem with my festae. its ben going on for a week now with long white stringy poo and some times a little ball lookin thing attached to it and not eating at all. i have ben medicating mine with parasite clear tablets from jungle for almost 2 days . if it works i will let u know

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
fishguts;1482844; said:
doesnt that mean internal parisite? already treated him for that but still has it. is that what it is? fish is festa
what med did you use? I'd use either praziquantal or metro

Sarah88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Cichlaholics Anonymous;3759535; said:
what med did you use? I'd use either praziquantal or metro
yeah for parasites i would use jungle parasite clear because it has both of these medecines in it, also how long did you treat for parasites, if you use jungle make sure to follow directions exactly if you dont do all doses then it wont kill them off all the way and they can come back

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Treating for internal parasite by treating the water is almost always minimally effective at best.

Medicated food is the best way to do it. If you cannot buy it, you can soak your food in metro. Do a google search for the right dosages.

yeroc1982

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2009
winnipeg
Iv struggled with this problem with a few GT's and they never got better. Lost 2 fems to it already. Gt's are bad for it! I tried Clout and had no effect on the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store